EFSA Publishes Public Opinion for Market Release of Pioneer GM SoybeanAugust 24, 2016
The Panel on Genetically Modified Organisms of the European Food Safety Authority (GMO Panel) has published the Scientific Opinion on an application submitted by Pioneer for the placing on the market of the herbicide tolerant, high oleic acid, genetically modified soybean 305423 × 40-3-2 for food and feed uses, import and processing under Regulation (EC) No. 1829/2003.
The GMO Panel has previously assessed the two single events in soybean 305423 × 40-3-2, and did not identify safety concerns. It also stated that no new data on the single events affecting the original conclusions were identified. Based on the molecular, agronomic, phenotypic and compositional characteristics, the combination of soybean events 305423 and 40-3-2 in the two-event stack soybean did not raise concerns regarding food and feed safety or nutrition.
The combination of the newly expressed proteins in the two-event stack soybean did not raise human or animal health concerns. Nutritional assessment of food products from soybean 305423 × 40-3-2 identified no concerns for human health and nutrition.
The GMO Panel is of the opinion that soybean 305423 × 40-3-2 is as safe as the non-GM comparator and non-GM commercial soybean varieties with respect to potential effects on human and animal health and environment in the context of its scope. The GMO panel recommends a post-market monitoring plan.
For more details, read the Scientific Opinion in the EFSA Journal.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Africa's Biosafety Agencies Seek to Harmonize Approaches to Regulatory Systems
- African Countries Strive to Meet Int'l Biosafety Obligations
- Photosynthesis Discovery in Wheat to Yield Faster Growing Crops
- Australia's OGTR Receives Application for Field Trials of Biotech Cotton
- Murdoch University Researchers Increase Wheat Protein to More than 14%
- European Seed Association Asks EU to Recognize Role of Plant Breeding in Addressing Societal Challenges
- EFSA Publishes Public Opinion for Market Release of Pioneer GM Soybean
- CIP Develops Marker-free PLRV Resistant Potato
- Researchers Map QTL for Dwarf Architecture in Oilseed Rape
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Identification of Candidate Genes for Calanolide Synthesis in Santa Maria Tree
- MOOC: Science and Politics of the GMO
- IUMS Congresses 2017
- Biotech Country Facts and Trends
- Swiss Academies: Strict Regulations Not Necessary for NBTs
- Broad Virus Resistance in Cucumber Developed using CRISPR
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: