Isoamylase 1 Affects Starch Production and Amylopectin Structure in Durum Wheat EndospermAugust 17, 2016
The lack of Isoamylase 1 (Isa1) activity in rice, maize, and barley affects starch composition in their endosperm. Francesco Sestili of the University of Tuscia in Italy and colleagues investigated the effect of this deficiency in durum wheat.
Researchers knocked-down Isa1 in durum wheat using RNA interference. The generated transgenic endosperms were then analyzed. The polysaccharide content of the endosperms was different from the wild type in several ways. There was a reduction in the starch content as well as a moderate enhancement of both phytoglycogen and β-glucan. Alterations were also found in the distribution of amylopectin chain length and amylopectin fine structure. The amylopectin present in the transgenic endosperms was also found to be readily hydrolyzable after treatment with hydrochloric acid.
The results of this study suggest that Isoamylase 1 plays a role in the synthesis and the determination of internal structure of amylopectin in durum wheat.
For more information, read the article in Plant Science.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Banana Fungus DNA Unravelled; Findings to Lead to Hardier Bananas
- Egyptian Students Organize Biotech Seminars for Sharing Knowledge
- Arctic® Fuji Apple Close to U.S. Regulatory Approval
- Capacity Building Sessions with Biosafety Regulators Held in Pakistan
- New Zealand EPA Declares Glyphosate as Noncarcinogenic
- Scientists Decode Major Pathogen of Barley
- Researchers Engineer White Maize for Astaxanthin Production
- Isoamylase 1 Affects Starch Production and Amylopectin Structure in Durum Wheat Endosperm
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Use Recombineering to Initiate Site-Directed Mutagenesis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- BplMYB46 Gene Affects Abiotic Stress Tolerance and Secondary Cell Wall Synthesis in Birch
- Researchers Sequence Tobacco Hornworm Genome
From the BICs
- Jordan Hosts Workshop on Plant Biotechnology and Biodiversity
- Biotech Country Facts and Trends
- TEDxUPM Talk on "GMOs: Seeds of Destruction?"
- World Seed Treatment Market Report
Subscribe to CBU: