BplMYB46 Gene Affects Abiotic Stress Tolerance and Secondary Cell Wall Synthesis in BirchAugust 17, 2016
Plant MYB transcription factors control various processes, such as differentiation, development and abiotic stress responses. Northeast Forestry University researchers, led by Huiyan Guo, studied BplMYB46, an MYB gene from birch (Betula platyphylla). The team evaluated transgenic birch plants which were either overexpressing BplMYB46 or had a silenced BplMYB46, to study the gene's specific role.
Analysis suggests that BplMYB46 can improve salt and osmotic tolerance by affecting the expression of SOD, POD and P5CS genes to increase reactive oxygen species scavenging. It is also involved in controlling stomatal aperture to reduce water loss. Overexpression of BplMYB46 also increased lignin deposition, secondary cell wall thickness and the expression of genes in secondary cell wall formation.
Further analysis revealed that the BplMYB46 protein binds to MYBCORE and AC-box motifs and directly activates the expression of genes with promoters that contain these motifs, such as those involved in abiotic stress responses and secondary cell wall synthesis.
For more information on this study, read the full article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Banana Fungus DNA Unravelled; Findings to Lead to Hardier Bananas
- Egyptian Students Organize Biotech Seminars for Sharing Knowledge
- Arctic® Fuji Apple Close to U.S. Regulatory Approval
- Capacity Building Sessions with Biosafety Regulators Held in Pakistan
- New Zealand EPA Declares Glyphosate as Noncarcinogenic
- Scientists Decode Major Pathogen of Barley
- Researchers Engineer White Maize for Astaxanthin Production
- Isoamylase 1 Affects Starch Production and Amylopectin Structure in Durum Wheat Endosperm
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Use Recombineering to Initiate Site-Directed Mutagenesis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- BplMYB46 Gene Affects Abiotic Stress Tolerance and Secondary Cell Wall Synthesis in Birch
- Researchers Sequence Tobacco Hornworm Genome
From the BICs
- Jordan Hosts Workshop on Plant Biotechnology and Biodiversity
- Biotech Country Facts and Trends
- TEDxUPM Talk on "GMOs: Seeds of Destruction?"
- World Seed Treatment Market Report
Subscribe to CBU: