GmSAMT1 Overexpression in Soybean Confers Resistance to Soybean Cyst Nematode RacesMay 25, 2016
Soybean salicylic acid methyl transferase (GmSAMT1) catalyzes the conversion of salicylic acid to methyl salicylate. Previous studies have shown that GmSAMT1 overexpression in soybean conferred resistance against soybean cyst nematode (SCN), Heterodera glycines Ichinohe.
Researchers from the University of Tennessee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory and USDA-ARS led by Jingyu Lin produced transgenic soybean overexpressing GmSAMT1 and characterized their response to various SCN races. Transgenic plants caused a significant reduction in the development of SCN races 2, 3, and 5. There was no significant difference in seed yield between the transgenic and non-transgenic soybean under conditions with negligible SCN infection.
GmSAMT1 expression affects salicylic acid biosynthesis which hampers SCN development without negative consequences to yield or morphological traits. GmSAMT1 overexpression confers broad resistance to multiple SCN races, which would be applicable to commercial production.
To learn more on this study, read the article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Investigate GM Food Awareness in Enugu, Nigeria
- Malawi's Seed Sector Calls on Govt to Adopt GM Crops
- Swaziland Agri Director Expresses Support to Amend the Biosafety Law
- Chance Finding in Guelph Study Could Transform Future of Plant Production
- Salk Institute Scientists Map Landscape of Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation in Plants
- University Illinois Scientist Identifies Mechanism for Herbicide Resistance in Palmer Amaranth
- Biologists Discover How Plants Reconstitute Stem Cells
- Philippine American Academy of Science and Engineering Calls for Resumption of Bt Eggplant Research
- The Royal Society Releases Guide on GM Plants
- Scientists Battle to Stem Onslaught of Pseudoscience in Europe
- British Crop Protection Council Challenges Green Alliance's Opposition to Glyphosate and GM Crops
- WRKY Genes from Wheat Confer Drought and Heat Resistance in Arabidopsis
- GmSAMT1 Overexpression in Soybean Confers Resistance to Soybean Cyst Nematode Races
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Develop Cell Labeling via Photobleaching Tagging Method
- Soluble Expression of Spike Protein of Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus in E. coli
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: