Effect of BBX-B8 Overexpression on Development, Silk Protein Synthesis and Egg Diapause of SilkwormsMarch 9, 2016
Bombyxin (BBX) is an insulin-like peptide that exists in silkworm (Bombyx mori). Previous studies on the effects of inhibiting BBX-B8 expression found that BBX-B8 is important for organ development, reproduction and trehalose metabolism in silkworms. Soochow University researchers, led by Xiaojian Zheng, investigated the effect of BBX-B8 overexpression on the development, body weight, silk protein synthesis and egg diapause of silkworm to further understand BBX-B8 functions.
BBX-B8 gene expression was detected throughout the silkworm's body, but was mainly expressed in the brain. Analysis showed that the change in BBX-B8 expression was not obvious in the brain of 1- to 4-day-old larvae of fifth instar silkworms. However, expression increased substantially at 5- to 6-day-old larvae of fifth instar silkworms.
Transgenic silkworms overexpressing BBX-B8 were then generated. Development duration of the transgenic silkworms was delayed by 2.5–3.5 days. The cocoon shell weight as well as the pupal weight of transgenic silkworms were also reduced compared to non-transgenic silkworms. The overexpression of BBX-B8 also led to transgenic moths laying non-diapausing eggs, or those that do not temporarily pause their development due to adverse environmental conditions.
All results indicated that BBX-B8 plays an important role in the development, silk protein synthesis and egg diapause of silkworm.
For more information, read the article on Transgenic Research.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Malawi Approves Confined Field Trials of Transgenic Bananas
- Researchers Show How Plants Protect Photosynthesis from Oxygen
- Scientists Develop GM Anthocyanin-Expressing Citrus
- Robert Saik: Anti-Science Movement One of the Biggest Threats to Modern Farming and World Food Security
- Philippine Government Approves Revised GM Regulations
- Philippine Academician Highlights Positive Consequences of the SC Ruling
- Food Shortage, Reduced Crop Productivity, More Deaths in 2050 Due to Climate Change
- New Agri-genomics Tools from Rothamsted Research
- Exogenous Amino Acids Induce Systemic Blast resistance in Rice
- Terminal Flower 1 Gene is a Breeding Target for a Novel Everbearing Trait in Octoploid Strawberry
- Effects of Drought and Salt-Stresses on Gene Expression in Caragana
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientist Find Giant Reed Uses Photosynthesis Common to Soybean, Rice and Peanuts
- Effect of BBX-B8 Overexpression on Development, Silk Protein Synthesis and Egg Diapause of Silkworms
- 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Metabolomics
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: Asia
Subscribe to CBU: