Terminal Flower 1 Gene is a Breeding Target for a Novel Everbearing Trait in Octoploid StrawberryMarch 9, 2016
The effects of daylength and temperature on flowering of the cultivated octoploid strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa Duch.) have been studied extensively at the physiological level. However, information on the molecular pathways controlling flowering in the species is scarce. The team of Elli Aurora Koskela of the University of Helsinki in Finland now aims to shed light on that particular pathway.
The flowering pathway has been previously studied in the diploid short-day woodland strawberry (F. vesca L.). There, the FLOWERING LOCUS T1 (FvFT1), SUPPRESSOR OF OVEREXPRESSION OF CONSTANS1 (FvSOC1), and TERMINAL FLOWER1 (FvTFL1) genes were found essential for the correct timing of flowering.
In Koskela's work, they showed that silencing the floral repressor FaTFL1 in the octoploid short-day strawberry cultivar ‘Elsanta' is sufficient to induce perpetual flowering under long days without direct changes in vegetative reproduction. The team also found that the genes FaFT1 and FaSOC1 show similar expression in different cultivars and that the regulation of FaTFL1 varies widely from cultivar to cultivar and is correlated with floral induction. This indicates that transcription of FaTFL1 occurs independently from the FaFT1–FaSOC1 module.
The results indicate that changing the expression of FaTFL1 could result in strawberries with specific flowering and runnering characteristics, including new types of everbearing cultivars.
Read more about the study on Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Malawi Approves Confined Field Trials of Transgenic Bananas
- Researchers Show How Plants Protect Photosynthesis from Oxygen
- Scientists Develop GM Anthocyanin-Expressing Citrus
- Robert Saik: Anti-Science Movement One of the Biggest Threats to Modern Farming and World Food Security
- Philippine Government Approves Revised GM Regulations
- Philippine Academician Highlights Positive Consequences of the SC Ruling
- Food Shortage, Reduced Crop Productivity, More Deaths in 2050 Due to Climate Change
- New Agri-genomics Tools from Rothamsted Research
- Exogenous Amino Acids Induce Systemic Blast resistance in Rice
- Terminal Flower 1 Gene is a Breeding Target for a Novel Everbearing Trait in Octoploid Strawberry
- Effects of Drought and Salt-Stresses on Gene Expression in Caragana
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientist Find Giant Reed Uses Photosynthesis Common to Soybean, Rice and Peanuts
- Effect of BBX-B8 Overexpression on Development, Silk Protein Synthesis and Egg Diapause of Silkworms
- 5th International Conference and Exhibition on Metabolomics
- 3rd Plant Genomics Congress: Asia
Subscribe to CBU: