Cause of Wheat Resistance to Scab DiscoveredMay 6, 2015
Dr. Rachid Lahlali from the Canadian Light Source (CLS), together with a research team from the CLS, National Research Council Canada, University of Saskatchewan, and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada used the synchrotron to image both healthy and infected wheat spikes and florets to understand the development and progression of the Fusarium head blight disease.
Fusarium head blight (FHB) is a huge global problem, caused by a fungus that attacks the head of the wheat plant, causing the kernels to shrivel up and produce toxins. The disease affects wheat and barley crops in Canada, China, parts of southern Africa, Eastern Europe, South America, and the US.
"What we were trying to do using the synchrotron is to understand how the fungus infects the plant and see what changes are happening. What we found are biochemical markers at the point of where the infection begins," said Dr. Lahlali. The research team used novel techniques developed at the CLS to image living wheat plants. According to Dr. Lahlali, they saw the differences in the wheat infected by the fungus and experiments showed that the structures could be lost or altered, and traits can be changed for the plants to become FHB resistant.
For more details, read the news release at the CLS website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Cause of Wheat Resistance to Scab Discovered
- Kenyan Farmers Visit South African GM Crops Fields
- USDA Announces Comment Period for GE Potato Assessment Results
- Canada Revises Draft Policy on LLP of GM Crop Imports
- Scientists Create Low-Allergen Soybean
- Ice Plant's Red Pigments to Improve Crops' Saline Tolerance
- Cross-Species Meta-Analysis Reveal Drought-adaptive Genes
- Folate Biofortified Rice Could Prevent Birth Defects
- Mycorrhiza Fungus Aids in Designing Better Crop Root System
- Scientists Use Proteomics to Compare GM and Non-GM Beans
- AKIN10 Delays Flowering by Inactivating IDD8 Transcription Factor in Arabidopsis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Crack Bumblebee's Genome
- Researchers Find Protein Responsible for Orchid Shape
- Mitochondrial Genome of Silene noctiflora Undergoes Chromosome Gain/Loss
From the BICs
- Biotechnology the Way to Go, Miss Uganda
Subscribe to CBU: