Sheep Genome DecodedJune 11, 2014
Seventy three researchers from 26 institutions and 8 years of collaboration finally led to the first complete sequence of the sheep genome. The results were published in Science elucidating the sheep's unique and specialized digestive and metabolic systems.
The researchers identified a gene (LCE7A) which represents a subfamily of the late cornified envelope (LCE) genes. The gene is expressed in the skin of sheep, cattle, and goat, but not in the rumen which is the first chamber of their complex stomach. They also discovered that LCE7A is expressed under positive selection in sheep. They believe that the expansion of these gene is associated with wool formation.
Scientists from Beijing Genome Insitute (BGI) also studied the pathway of MOGAT enzymes that might be important in wool production. They found that MOGAT2 and MOGAT3 have undergone tandem gene expression. Moreover, the enzymes were present in the sheep's skin, not in the liver where they are expressed in other species. Thus, the loss of MOGAT2 and MOGAT3 in the sheep liver may reduce the importance of the liver in metabolizing long chain fatty acids in ruminants when compared to non-ruminants.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Organizations Reconfirm Support for Biotech Wheat Commercialization
- Scientists Analyze Citrus Genomes to Produce Resistant Varieties
- Kenyan Governors Call for Lifting of GMO Ban
- Phaseolus Genome Gives Insights into Nitrogen Fixation
- Scientists Show How Bacterial Protein in Aphid Saliva Triggers Plant Defense
- New Website for Fruit Genome Databases
- CCAFS-SEA and Partners Discuss Effective Communication on Climate Change
- A Comparative Study of GMO Labeling in the South Korea, US, and EU
- Australian GM Farmer Wins Landmark Case
- Scientists Uncover Root Mechanism to Boost Crop Performance
- Effect of Excessive UV-B Light on Soybean Plants
- OsMYB103L Regulates Cellulose Synthase Genes and Improves Leaf Shape and Strength in Rice
- Potassium Transport Gene in Soybean Enhances Its Resistance to Soybean Mosaic Virus
- Impact of Virus Resistant GM Wheat on Microbial Community Diversity
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Human Genome Project Gets Protein Equivalent
- Sheep Genome Decoded
- Functional Human Growth Factors Produced from an Insect-Baculovirus System
- International Conference on Asian Food Security
- ISAAA Infomercial: What Do People Say About Biotech?
- Biotech Corn Farmer Story in ISAAA Blog
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: