OsMYB103L Regulates Cellulose Synthase Genes and Improves Leaf Shape and Strength in RiceJune 11, 2014
MYB transcription factors have been known to have important roles in plant development, metabolism and stress responses. However, little is known about their functions in rice.
The rice gene OsMYB103L, which encodes an R2R3-MYB transcription factor, was examined to determine its function. OsMYB103L was found to be located in the nucleus. Overexpression of OsMYB103L in rice (Oryza sativa L.) resulted in a rolled leaf phenotype, an important trait in rice breeding. Further analyses also found significant increases in expression levels of several cellulose synthase genes (CESAs), resulting in increased cellulose content in OsMYB103L overexpressing lines. Silencing of the OsMYB103L gene decreased the cellulose content and reduced mechanical strength in leaves. Moreover, expression levels of CESA genes were also decreased in the lines where OsMYB103L was silenced.
The OsMYB103L appears to target the CESA genes for regulation of cellulose synthesis and could potentially be manipulated to form desirable leaf shapes and mechanical strength in rice varieties.
For more information regarding OsMYB103L, feel free to visit: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2229/14/158/abstract.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Organizations Reconfirm Support for Biotech Wheat Commercialization
- Scientists Analyze Citrus Genomes to Produce Resistant Varieties
- Kenyan Governors Call for Lifting of GMO Ban
- Phaseolus Genome Gives Insights into Nitrogen Fixation
- Scientists Show How Bacterial Protein in Aphid Saliva Triggers Plant Defense
- New Website for Fruit Genome Databases
- CCAFS-SEA and Partners Discuss Effective Communication on Climate Change
- A Comparative Study of GMO Labeling in the South Korea, US, and EU
- Australian GM Farmer Wins Landmark Case
- Scientists Uncover Root Mechanism to Boost Crop Performance
- Effect of Excessive UV-B Light on Soybean Plants
- OsMYB103L Regulates Cellulose Synthase Genes and Improves Leaf Shape and Strength in Rice
- Potassium Transport Gene in Soybean Enhances Its Resistance to Soybean Mosaic Virus
- Impact of Virus Resistant GM Wheat on Microbial Community Diversity
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Human Genome Project Gets Protein Equivalent
- Sheep Genome Decoded
- Functional Human Growth Factors Produced from an Insect-Baculovirus System
- International Conference on Asian Food Security
- ISAAA Infomercial: What Do People Say About Biotech?
- Biotech Corn Farmer Story in ISAAA Blog
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: