Scientists Discover Gene Resistant to Leaf RustAugust 7, 2013
Scientists from Australia have identified a gene that provides resistance to leaf rust in some adult varieties of barley. The gene, known as Rph20 was tracked by conducting field trials in Australia and Uruguay. The scientists then developed a diagnostic DNA marker to determine the presence of the gene.
Using the marker, the team traced the gene's origins to a type of barley first cross-bred in the Netherlands in 1928. The researchers also claim that Rph20 gene has resistance to powdery mildew, another devastating barley disease.
See the University of Queensland's news release at http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=26547.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists to Use Gene Sequencing to Combat Witchweed, Other Parasitic Plants
- CGIAR Releases Guidelines on Management of Its Intellectual Assets
- Newly-discovered Rice Gene for Drought Resistance
- New Seed Variety Unveiled in Kenya
- Ghanaian Journalists Trained in Biotechnology
- Vitamin A Cassava Launched in Nigeria
- AfricaRice Sets Up Region-wide Network of Rice Hubs
- Study on Plant Mechanism Gives New Perspective on Climate Research
- Argentine Scientists Develop Virus Resistant GM Potato
- New Research Could Lead to Better-Tasting, Disease Resistant Tomatoes
- IndoBIC Hosts a Break to Fasting Event for GM Crops
- Philippine Media Visit Golden Rice Screenhouse
- Scientists Discover Gene Resistant to Leaf Rust
- Vietnam's Biosafety Process Reported
- Scientists Identify Natural Plant Compound that Can Protect Maize from Leafhoppers
- USDA GAIN Report on Agribiotechnology in Russia
- Effect of High Temperature and Pressure on Transgene Content of Biotech Maize
- Meta-analysis: Bt Maize No Effect on 26 NTO in Spain
- Plant Genome Evolution in Amsterdam
- Distance Learning Course in Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology
- WTO and Decade of China Cotton
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (June 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: