Vitamin A Cassava Launched in NigeriaAugust 7, 2013
Vitamin A cassava was formally launched in Nigeria on July 31 under the Agricultural Transformation Agenda of the Federal Government. Agriculture Minister Dr. Akin Adesina and representatives from the Ministry of Health led the event in Akwa-Ibom state which was attended by more than 2,000 farmers and other agriculture, nutrition and development stakeholders. The three cassava varieties launched were the product of collaborative work by the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) and the National Root Crop Research Institute of Nigeria (NRCRI), under the HarvestPlus program.
Paul Ilona, HarvestPlus Nigeria Country Manager was at the launch, and he said, "The national launch is a recognition that biofortified staple food crops such as vitamin A cassava can constitute an important component in the strategy to improve nutritional and public health outcomes in Nigeria."
For the next five years, HarvestPlus will continue to work with the Government, farmers and the private sector to significantly scale up vitamin A cassava dissemination in Nigeria. The target is 10 million Nigerians growing and consuming vitamin A cassava by 2018.
For more details, read the HarvestPlus news release available at: http://www.harvestplus.org/content/vitamin-cassava-dissemination-officially-launched-nigeria.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists to Use Gene Sequencing to Combat Witchweed, Other Parasitic Plants
- CGIAR Releases Guidelines on Management of Its Intellectual Assets
- Newly-discovered Rice Gene for Drought Resistance
- New Seed Variety Unveiled in Kenya
- Ghanaian Journalists Trained in Biotechnology
- Vitamin A Cassava Launched in Nigeria
- AfricaRice Sets Up Region-wide Network of Rice Hubs
- Study on Plant Mechanism Gives New Perspective on Climate Research
- Argentine Scientists Develop Virus Resistant GM Potato
- New Research Could Lead to Better-Tasting, Disease Resistant Tomatoes
- IndoBIC Hosts a Break to Fasting Event for GM Crops
- Philippine Media Visit Golden Rice Screenhouse
- Scientists Discover Gene Resistant to Leaf Rust
- Vietnam's Biosafety Process Reported
- Scientists Identify Natural Plant Compound that Can Protect Maize from Leafhoppers
- USDA GAIN Report on Agribiotechnology in Russia
- Effect of High Temperature and Pressure on Transgene Content of Biotech Maize
- Meta-analysis: Bt Maize No Effect on 26 NTO in Spain
- Plant Genome Evolution in Amsterdam
- Distance Learning Course in Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology
- WTO and Decade of China Cotton
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 22, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 15, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: