Philippine Media Visit Golden Rice ScreenhouseAugust 7, 2013
In celebration of the Philippine Nutrition Month last July, 29 members of the national and local media in the Philippines visited the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) to learn more about the institute's high-nutrient rice research. IRRI is using breeding and modern biotechnology to develop rice that contains more beta-carotene (a source of vitamin A), iron, and zinc.
The journalists also visited the Golden Rice screenhouse as part of a day-long event focused on research into nutritious and high-quality rice. The screenhouse is where the results of breeding and modern biotechnology efforts can be first seen. Here, rice breeders from IRRI and national partners work together to optimize Golden Rice versions of rice varieties that grow well in Asia.
For more information, visit http://irri.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=12623:philippine-media-visit-golden-rice-screenhouse&lang=en.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists to Use Gene Sequencing to Combat Witchweed, Other Parasitic Plants
- CGIAR Releases Guidelines on Management of Its Intellectual Assets
- Newly-discovered Rice Gene for Drought Resistance
- New Seed Variety Unveiled in Kenya
- Ghanaian Journalists Trained in Biotechnology
- Vitamin A Cassava Launched in Nigeria
- AfricaRice Sets Up Region-wide Network of Rice Hubs
- Study on Plant Mechanism Gives New Perspective on Climate Research
- Argentine Scientists Develop Virus Resistant GM Potato
- New Research Could Lead to Better-Tasting, Disease Resistant Tomatoes
- IndoBIC Hosts a Break to Fasting Event for GM Crops
- Philippine Media Visit Golden Rice Screenhouse
- Scientists Discover Gene Resistant to Leaf Rust
- Vietnam's Biosafety Process Reported
- Scientists Identify Natural Plant Compound that Can Protect Maize from Leafhoppers
- USDA GAIN Report on Agribiotechnology in Russia
- Effect of High Temperature and Pressure on Transgene Content of Biotech Maize
- Meta-analysis: Bt Maize No Effect on 26 NTO in Spain
- Plant Genome Evolution in Amsterdam
- Distance Learning Course in Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology
- WTO and Decade of China Cotton
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 15, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 8, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: