Scientists Identify Natural Plant Compound that Can Protect Maize from LeafhoppersAugust 7, 2013
A recent study by scientists from Rothamsted Research have shown that exposing maize plants to a natural plant product known as cis-Jasmone (CJ) can enhance their early defense against the leafhopper Cicadulina storeyi. The study was published in the journal PLOS 1.
Rothamsted researchers tested the potential of CJ to induce a defense response in maize plants. When young maize plants were pre-treated with CJ and then infested with leafhoppers, they released volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that repelled the insect pest. The effect of this response was strongest within the first few hours of infestation, i.e. before the pests alone would have caused such a response. When the blend of VOCs was analyzed for its chemical composition, it was indeed found that the CJ pre-treated plants emitted increased amounts of chemicals that are natural insect pest repellents.
See Rothamsted Research's news release at http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/PressReleases-PRID=235.html.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists to Use Gene Sequencing to Combat Witchweed, Other Parasitic Plants
- CGIAR Releases Guidelines on Management of Its Intellectual Assets
- Newly-discovered Rice Gene for Drought Resistance
- New Seed Variety Unveiled in Kenya
- Ghanaian Journalists Trained in Biotechnology
- Vitamin A Cassava Launched in Nigeria
- AfricaRice Sets Up Region-wide Network of Rice Hubs
- Study on Plant Mechanism Gives New Perspective on Climate Research
- Argentine Scientists Develop Virus Resistant GM Potato
- New Research Could Lead to Better-Tasting, Disease Resistant Tomatoes
- IndoBIC Hosts a Break to Fasting Event for GM Crops
- Philippine Media Visit Golden Rice Screenhouse
- Scientists Discover Gene Resistant to Leaf Rust
- Vietnam's Biosafety Process Reported
- Scientists Identify Natural Plant Compound that Can Protect Maize from Leafhoppers
- USDA GAIN Report on Agribiotechnology in Russia
- Effect of High Temperature and Pressure on Transgene Content of Biotech Maize
- Meta-analysis: Bt Maize No Effect on 26 NTO in Spain
- Plant Genome Evolution in Amsterdam
- Distance Learning Course in Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology
- WTO and Decade of China Cotton
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: