New FAO Chief Vows Renewed Focus on Food SecurityJanuary 6, 2012
José Graziano da Silva, the eighth director-general of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), recently assumed office and vowed to push for a renewed focus on food security. "Hunger eradication should not be separated from responses to other global challenges, such as reviving national economies, protecting natural resources from degradation, and mitigating and adapting to climate change," he said.
The FAO Director-General will aim for the eradication of hunger; sustainable food production and consumption; greater fairness in global food management; conclusion of FAO's organizational reform to improve efficiency, transparency and accountability; and expansion of partnerships and South-South cooperation.
"I am convinced that the Organization can make a significant and growing contribution to food security and sustainable food production and consumption in the world," da Silva said at an inaugural press conference.
Brazilian and Italian by nationality, da Silva holds a Bachelor's Degree in Agronomy and a Master's Degree in Rural Economics and Sociology from the University of São Paulo as well as a Ph.D. in Economic Sciences from the State University of Campinas.
Check out http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/119343/icode/ and http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/117486/icode/ for the full stories.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global News Analysis on Biotechnology
- New FAO Chief Vows Renewed Focus on Food Security
- Burundi Release Two New Rice Varieties for Better Lives
- Mozambique: Better Seeds for Better Crops
- USDA Deregulates Drought Tolerant Trait for Corn
- Mexico Approves Planting of GM Cotton Bollgard®II Flex
- USDA Announces Biotech Regulatory Actions
- Corn Defenses for Improved Pest Resistance
- Sunn Hemp Shows Promise as Biofuel Source
- Molecular Timer Modulates Branching Architecture in Tomato
- Boulder County Allows Planting of Biotech Corn and Sugarbeet
- Biofortification on the Rise in Brazil
- Communication Challenges in Crop Biotechnology
- China's MoA Issues 12th Five-year Plan (2011- 2015) on Agricultural S&T
- Chinese Ag Vice Minister Meets with International Experts
- OGTR Calls for Comments for Environmental Release of GM Wheat and Barley
- New Initiatives to Solve Herbicide Resistance
- EU Approves Three Biotech Corn Varieties
- S&T Committee to Seek Answers to Technology Commercialization
- Rothamsted Research Launches New Science Strategy
- Assessment of Biotech Potato with Resistance to Potato Virus Y in Argentina
- Metabolic Engineering of Soybean Seed Coats
- Effects of Bt Rice on Soil Arthropod Folsomia candida
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Frogs Use Calls to Find Mates with Matching Chromosomes
- Human Resource Development Program in Biotechnology
- Short Course on Plant Breeding for Drought Tolerance
- International Congress on Plant Molecular Biology
- GM Crop Risk-Benefit Debate
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: