Structural Changes Needed in Agriculture Says FAO DGNovember 26, 2010
Boosting investment in agriculture is the key to long-term food security. Hence, there is urgent need for structural changes in the agricultural system, said Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Director-General Jacques Diouf in his address to the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Ministerial Forum on Agricultural Investment in Abu Dhabi. The gathering was attended by representatives of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the host country, the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
"The food price and economic crises have had a severe impact on millions of people in all parts of the world," he said. "These trends can have severe implications for countries like the Gulf countries, which depend on commercial imports for a large share of their food consumption needs."
Short term structural changes to improve food security include targeted safety nets and social protection programs, reliable, and timely information on food commodity markets, and access to means of production and technologies. Medium and longer term strategies require investment in agriculture.
The FAO press release is at http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/47881/icode/.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Structural Changes Needed in Agriculture Says FAO DG
- Global Biofortification Conference a Success
- Fifth Set of Winners for the CBU Knowledge Campaign
- African Delegation Visits Burkina Faso Bt Cotton Fields
- Orange Sweet Potato Faces a Bright Future in Africa
- KSU Gets Patent for Method to Control Plant Nematodes in Soybean
- Genetic Diversity Helps Growers Manage Environmental Uncertainties
- ARS Scientists Find Psyllid Populations in the Americas are Genetically Distinct
- ISU Scientists Report Missing Genes From One Maize Line to Another
- Mastermind Steroid Found in Plants
- Embrapa Launches WebAgritec System for Agriculture
- NSF Awards US$5 Million Grant to UGA for Corn Centromere Research
- Gene Find Could Lead to Healthier Food, Better Biofuel Production
- Bangladesh Approves Second Year RB Potato Field Trial
- Bt Eggplant Can Help Alleviate Poverty and Improve Environment, Study Shows
- Bayer Science and Education Foundation Awards Young Scientists
- Germany – Case Against Gatersleben Field Destroyer Justified
- Why Mildew Resistant But Infertile Arabidopsis Plants
- Germany Federal Court: Genetic Engineering Act is Constitutional
- Accumulation of Recombinant Human Coagulation Factor IX in Transgenic Soybean Seeds
- Rice Pollen Hybrid Incompatibility Caused by Reciprocal Gene Loss of Duplicated Genes
- Scientists Report Role of the Stomatal Development Regulators in Abiotic Stress Responses
- Beachell-Borlaug Scholarships
- Now Available: Bt Eggplant Brochures in Local Philippine Languages
- ICAR Publishes Farm Innovators 2010
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (December 1, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (November 23, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (December 1, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: