Colombia Approves GM Soybeans for Commercial PlantingJuly 30, 2010
The approval for commercial planting of this GM soybean was made through Decree No. 2404 of July 17, 2010. Commercial planting of this RR soybean, featuring resistance to glyphosate, will be in the Orinoco region.
In addition to this authorization, ICA approved four GM events for animal consumption and/or feed production: three on maize and one on soybeans. These are:
- GA 21 Corn from Syngenta.
- Lysine LY038 Corn from Monsanto Company
- MIR 162 x Bt11 x GA21 Corn from Syngenta
- GAT Soybean from DuPont Company
ICA endorsed the expansion of areas for commercial planting of Liberty Link cotton produced by Bayer CropScience. This cotton can also be planted in the humid Caribbean coast of Colombia.
In total, 13 approvals were granted in 2010 for activities with GMOs for agricultural and livestock purposes (7 in the first term and 5 in July 2010), which include biosafety tests, research studies, commercial crops (and expansion of areas for these) and animal consumption.
The original news in Spanish is at http://www.agrobio.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7685&Itemid=25
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Africa and Brazil Launch Knowledge Sharing Initiative
- Tanzania Signs CAADP Compact
- Colombia Approves GM Soybeans for Commercial Planting
- Cornell to Construct $1.5 Million Bee Database
- USDA-ARS Partners with Kansas Bioscience Authority for Science Growth in the Region
- BioServe Develops PCR-Based GMO Screening Tests
- Study Shows Bt Cotton Benefits Women in India
- FBAE Requests for the Removal of Bt Brinjal Moratorium
- Bangladesh Agric Minister: Consider Modern Technology
- Indonesia Hosts ATBC 2010
- EU Approves 6 GMOs for Import
- New Bavarian Research Association to Prepare Plants for Climate Change
- GM Research Vandalized in Europe
- EFSA Reports on Public Consultation for the Draft Assessment of Allergenecity of GM Plants and Microorganisms
- Monsanto Corn Technology Combinations Receive EU Regulatory Approval
- Wheat Disease Resistance-like Gene Stimulates Susceptibility to Necrotrophic Pathogens
- Scientists Measure Concentrations of Cry1Ab Protein in YieldGard® Corn Hybrids
- Researcher Measures Leaf Transpiration Efficiency of Drought-resistant Maize Lines
- ICRISAT Training on Molecular Markers for Crop Improvement
- Ninth Mycological Congress, Edinburgh, UK
- Biodiversity and Sustainable Diets: An International Scientific Symposium
Subscribe to CBU: