Hurdling Barriers to Bt Brinjal CommercializationMay 7, 2010
Will Bt brinjal get through the regulatory hurdle in India? Can educational programs be implemented to help Indian farmers learn how to use this technology? A.M. Shelton of the Department of Entomology, Cornell University, raises these questions in an article The long road to commercialization of Bt brinjal in India published in the journal Crop Protection. He noted the importance of this crop which has shown to provide superior control of fruit and shoot borer (FSB) and in significantly reducing the amount of insecticides used against FSB.
Shelton analyzed the Bt brinjal process that is short of commercialization in India. "It is clear", Shelton explained, "that the road to commercializing a GM product has had, and will continue to have, far more twists and turns, than in other types of governments, such as China, which has decided to embrace food products produced through biotechnology to feed its citizens." In an epilogue he said that political pressure from those opposed to biotechnology rather than by critical scientific and balanced judgments of the technology seemed to influence Ministerial decisions.
Email the author at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Climate Experts Tackle Food Security - Climate Change Challenge
- Implications for Climate Change in Africa
- Africa Can Learn from China Says IFPRI Head
- FAO Calls for More Effort to Attain African Food Security
- Interregional Biotech Exchange Program to Promote Product Stewardship
- UN Blanket Feeding Operation to Fight Children Malnutrition in Niger
- ARS Scientists Identify Genetic Resistance to Rice Sheath Blight
- U.S. EPA Approves Insect Refuge 'In-The-Bag' Seed Product
- Texas Tech Gets Bayer Research Grant
- Seed Mixtures vs Structured Refuges for Bt Hybrids
- High Oleic Soybean Oil Projected for 2012 Release
- Obama Administration Strategizes to Improve Food Aid
- Warmer Nights Threaten India's Rice Production
- Workshop on LLP of Agri-Biotech Products in Indonesia
- Hurdling Barriers to Bt Brinjal Commercialization
- Invitation to Comment on the RARMP for GM Cotton
- Organic Farming: Limited Benefit to Wildlife Does Not Compensate for Lower Yields
- UK Scientists Conduct Oats Study
- Relationship of Rice Fragrance and Yield Reduction Under Salt Treatment
- Development of a Core Set in Brinjal
- Greenhouse Assays Measure Responses of Synthetic Hexaploid Wheat to Tan Spot
- India Bio 2010
- US-French Symposium on Water, Food Security and Climate Change in Purdue
- Developing a Biosafety Law- Lessons from the Kenyan Experience
Subscribe to CBU: