Biotech Updates

Brazil's Record Breaking Sugarcane Harvest Fuels Bioethanol Boom

September 11, 2009

The Biofuels International website reports that Brazil (a major producer of cane-ethanol) is expecting a record sugarcane harvest of 629 million tons this year, up 10% from its 2008 figures. If its current productivity index of 81 tonnes per hectare is maintained, 45% of the harvest will be used for sugar production, while the remaining 55% will be used for bioethanol production. A total ethanol production of 27.8 billion gallons is anticipated, representing a 4.22% rise from 2008 figures. According to the report, "Most Brazilian mills have the facilities to produce both ethanol and sugar, which allows for flexibility to opt for the production of one or the other"..