Report Tackles Why the UK Should Embrace Biotech and Gene EditingFebruary 9, 2022
Adam Smith Institute released a paper titled Splice of Life: The Case of GMOs and Gene Editing, which is based on two decades' worth of research about the benefits of adopting GMOs. The paper, authored by Cameron English, Director of Biosciences at the American Council on Science and Health, stresses that the UK is moving in the right direction by considering more liberal biotech regulations.
The paper highlights the following points:
- Through the adoption of GM products, global consumers save up to $24 billion per year, while the UK farming industry lost approximately £1.7 billion due to their GMO ban since 1996.
- The use of GMOs led to a 19 percent reduction in the environmental impact of pesticide use since 1996.
- GMOs are responsible for 34.2 million kilograms less carbon dioxide from 1996 to 2018.
- GMOs are safe for human consumption and help promote sustainable agriculture as confirmed by over 2,000 studies on their safety.
- Because of the precautionary principle, there is a near-universal prohibition of genetic engineering across the European Union. However, the EU imports around 30 million metric tons of soybean and soybean meal annually, wherein 90-95% is GMO.
Read the entire report from Adam Smith Institute.
You might also like:
- UK Announces Simpler Rules on Gene Editing for the Benefit of Farmers
- Genome-Edited Wheat Field Trial Gets UK Government Approval
- UK Report Compares EU Approaches on Food Safety Regulation of Novel Foods and GMOs with Other Countries
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Food Prices Increase in January
- Oxitec to Conduct Mosquito Technology Tests in the US in 2022
- UC Davis Team Identifies Wheat Gene that Increases Yield
- Study Pinpoints Gene Vital for Rice Grain Development
- Researchers Reveal Mechanisms in Air Channels Formation in Submerged Plants
- PH Agri Secretary: Biotechnology a Powerful Tool of Science to Feed the Future
- Adoption of GM Crops Can Help Fight Climate Change -Study
- Study Reveals Friendly™ Fall Armyworm Reduces Population; Provides Long-Term Protection
- Study Shows SPL9 Mediates Freezing Tolerance in Plants
- New Tool Helps Strip Down Corn Ancestor's Traits for Research Exploration
- GM Phytase Corn Found to Promote Digestion of Amino Acids in Pigs
- Report Tackles Why the UK Should Embrace Biotech and Gene Editing
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: