PH Agri Secretary: Biotechnology a Powerful Tool of Science to Feed the FutureFebruary 9, 2022
Philippines Department of Agriculture Secretary William Dar, in a recent interview, said, "The stance of the Department of Agriculture (DA) is clear: biotechnology is a pillar of our ‘OneDA approach' to ensuring agricultural productivity, sustainability, economic growth, and nutritional security."
At a Healthier Rice Project Team and Advisory Committee meeting held on February 2, 2022, Secretary Dar highlighted the DA's programs or the massive production of Golden Rice seeds and production of Golden Rice in its pioneer provinces. The DA-Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) will bring Golden Rice to the vitamin A-deficient provinces in the Philippines.
The secretary was among the first to taste the Golden Rice when it was launched in September 2021. During the meeting, Secretary Dar explained that the Department continues to pursue programs to entice youth into venturing careers in agriculture, specifically in biotechnology.
"The achievements made by the Philippines exemplified by the biosafety approvals for Golden Rice as well as Bt eggplant hopefully will inspire more young Filipinos to pursue this field because we need more biotechnologists, scientists to help us drive the agriculture and fisheries sector towards modernization and industrialization," Secretary Dar said.
For more details, read the news release from the Department of Agriculture.
You might also like:
- Philippines Approves Golden Rice for Direct Use as Food and Feed, or for Processing
- Golden Rice Now Approved for Commercial Planting in the Philippines
- Philippines Approves Bt Eggplant for Direct Use as Food, Feed, or for Processing
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Food Prices Increase in January
- Oxitec to Conduct Mosquito Technology Tests in the US in 2022
- UC Davis Team Identifies Wheat Gene that Increases Yield
- Study Pinpoints Gene Vital for Rice Grain Development
- Researchers Reveal Mechanisms in Air Channels Formation in Submerged Plants
- PH Agri Secretary: Biotechnology a Powerful Tool of Science to Feed the Future
- Adoption of GM Crops Can Help Fight Climate Change -Study
- Study Reveals Friendly™ Fall Armyworm Reduces Population; Provides Long-Term Protection
- Study Shows SPL9 Mediates Freezing Tolerance in Plants
- New Tool Helps Strip Down Corn Ancestor's Traits for Research Exploration
- GM Phytase Corn Found to Promote Digestion of Amino Acids in Pigs
- Report Tackles Why the UK Should Embrace Biotech and Gene Editing
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: