Australian OGTR Receives Application for GM Canola and Indian Mustard Field TrialJanuary 5, 2022
The Australian Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) has received a license application (DIR 188) from Nuseed Pty. Ltd. to conduct a field trial of genetically modified (GM) canola and Indian mustard with altered oil content and herbicide tolerance.
The trial is proposed to take place between November 2022 and December 2027, at up to 20 trial sites per year with a maximum area of 150 hectares per year. The trial sites are located in New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland. The trial would be subject to control measures that restrict the spread and persistence of the GM plants and their introduced genetic material. The GM canola and Indian mustard would not be used for human food or animal feed.
The OGTR is preparing a Risk Assessment and Risk Management Plan (RARMP) for the application which is expected to be released for public comment and advice from experts, agencies, and authorities in March 2022. There will be at least 30 days for the submission of comments.
For more information, including the notice of application and a summary of the license application, visit the DIR 188 page on the OGTR website.
You might also like:
- Australian OGTR Invites Public Comments on GM Wheat and Barley Field Trial
- Herbicide Tolerant GM Canola Gets Commercial Approval in Australia
- Australian OGTR Receives License Application for Field Trial of GM White Clover
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Consortium of Scientists Develop Affordable Sequencing Method for Pathogen Analysis to Help Tackle Global Epidemics
- Experts: Allow Golden Rice to Save Lives
- UCR Scientists Breeding HLB Tolerant Citrus
- Political Will and Scientific Community Continue to Move Biotech Adoption in Bangladesh
- Australian OGTR Receives Application for GM Canola and Indian Mustard Field Trial
- GM Soybean and GM Maize Industrialization in China Shows Remarkable Results
- Göttingen University Research Team Develops Method to Complete Genetic Data
- High-Iron Wheat Awaits Approval for Field Trials in the UK
- International Research Team's Genetic Discoveries to Improve Spinach Disease Resistance and Palatability
- Lychee's Genome Unveils Its Domestication History
- CRISPR-Cas9 Reveals Role of SlSRM1-like in Leaf Development
- CRISPR Continues to Drive Gene Editing Market Growth, Report
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: