Australian OGTR Receives License Application for Field Trial of GM White CloverSeptember 9, 2020
The Australian Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) has received a license application (DIR 176) from PTM Solutions Australia Pty Ltd to conduct a field trial of genetically modified (GM) white clover with increased condensed tannins.
The trial is proposed to take place between April 2021 and December 2026, on up to four sites per year with a maximum area of 1 hectare per year across all sites. The trial sites could be chosen from 117 local government areas across New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, and Western Australia. The trial would be subject to control measures that restrict the spread and persistence of the GM plants and their introduced genetic material. The GM white clover would not be used for human food or animal feed.
The OGTR is preparing a Risk Assessment and Risk Management Plan (RARMP) for the application which is expected to be released for public comment and advice from experts, agencies, and authorities in mid-November 2020. There will be at least 30 days for submission of comments.
For more information, including the notice of application and a summary of the license application, visit the DIR 176 page on the OGTR website.
You might also like:
- Application for Controlled Release of GM Clover in Australia
- Australia Eyeing Trial for GM Clover
- DPI Victoria Applies for GM White Clover Release
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- 3rd Asian Short Course on Agri-biotech, Biosafety Regulation, and Communication
- ISAAA Kicks Off Discourses on Regulatory Approaches for Animal Biotech
- Kenyan Scientists Embark on Synthetic Biology Research
- US EPA Proposes to Ease Up Regulations on Certain Biotech PIPs
- Australian OGTR Receives License Application for Field Trial of GM White Clover
- Plant Protein Discovery to Help Plants Tolerate Climate Change and Reduce Need for Fertilizers
- International Research Team Discovers How Plants Shut the Door on Infection
- Meta-analysis Investigates Effect of Bt Crops on Soil Invertebrates
- Scientists Publish qPCR Method for Commercial Gene-Edited Canola
- New Bicistronic TALENs Enhance Genome Editing
- Study Shows OsCRS2 Vital for Chloroplast Development in Rice
- Most Comprehensive Map of SARS-CoV-2 Genomic Structures Now Published
- Nigerian Scientists Identify Seven Lineages of SARS-CoV-2
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: