World Food Day 2021 Honors Food HeroesOctober 20, 2021
While the challenges of global hunger, climate crisis and COVID-19 continue, there is also a new momentum and energy behind initiatives to transform agri-food systems, making them more fit for purpose. This was the realization of the participants of the World Food Day 2021 celebrated on October 15, 2021.
"Together, we have been rolling up our sleeves to lead the implementation and drive the transformation," QU Dongyu, Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) said in his address to the FAO-hosted World Food Day celebration. Qu also noted that despite the pandemic challenges, resilience and strength have been manifested especially by the Food Heroes around the world who continue to work against all odds to ensure that food is available.
"We're facing unprecedented challenges to global food security right now," said World Food Programme Executive Director David Beasley. "We'll only succeed in ending hunger if we ensure our global food systems are fit for the twenty-first century.
Read more from FAO.
You might also like:
- Farmers First: Feedback from the Farm
- Filipino Farmers Await Bt Eggplant Release
- Pocket K No. 49: Adoption and Uptake Pathways of Biotech Crops by Small-scale Farmers in China, India, and the Philippines
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- World Food Day 2021 Honors Food Heroes
- UN Biodiversity Conference Intensifies Call to Bend the Curve of Biodiversity Loss
- Research Team Engineers Bioenergy-Friendly Fungi
- Researchers Discover Gene for Improved Tomato Flavor and Shelf-life
- Pakistan Launches Digital Initiative to Empower Farmers
- Scientists Identify Biotech Techniques to Improve Space Agriculture
- Invitation to the 4th Asian Short Course on Agri-biotech, Biosafety Regulation, and Communication (ASCA2021)
- Golden Rice Favored as It Tastes, Smells like Regular Rice, but More Nutritious
- Breakthrough to Help Coconut Propagation and Conservation
- No Difference Found in Meat, Milk From Gene Edited Cows vs Conventional Cows
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Confer Sulfamethoxazole Resistance in Arabidopsis
- Japan Begins Sale of Genome-Edited "Madai" Red Sea Bream
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: