TALENs and Other Molecular Tools to Help Prevent the Next Plant PandemicMay 19, 2021
In the last 100 years, there have been over a dozen plant pandemics that affected key food crops. With the rapidly increasing world population and the massive impact of climate change, failing to innovate ways to make crops resilient to diseases can make millions go hungry, according to 2Blades Foundation's video titled The Work of Our Lives.
2Blades Foundation believes that scientists must take part in preventing the next food pandemic that could gravely affect global food security. Through their projects, they are working with non-profit organizations and the private sector to find durable disease resistance against wheat stem rust, Asian soybean rust, and corn rots using molecular tools. 2Blades also holds exclusive global rights to TALENs gene-editing platform in plants, which they share with international agricultural agencies at no cost. TALENs have been proven to combat pests and disease of rice, potato, and wheat; as well as improve crop yields and resistance to climate change.
Watch the video for more details.
You might also like:
- What is the 2Blades Foundation?
- What are TALENs?
- Plant Breeding Innovation: TALENs (Transcription Activator-Like Effector Nucleases)
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Encouraged to Invest Time for Science Communication
- Massive Molecular Study Reveals Evolution and Diversification of Legumes
- Tepary Bean Could Hold the Key in Bean Crops Adaptation
- UC Riverside Study Discovers Genes to Help Crops Survive Climate Change
- Study Finds That Experts Featured in Ad Campaigns Can Help GM Foods Become More Acceptable
- Research Reveals Climate Change Threatens One-Third of Global Food Production
- VIB Reports New Molecular Driver of High-Temperature Adaptation in Plants
- Scientists Pinpoint Gene Involved in Embryo Development and Flavonoid Production in Rice
- TALENs and Other Molecular Tools to Help Prevent the Next Plant Pandemic
- Australia's GEd Chickens to Help Improve Agriculture and Pharmaceuticals
- Japan Updates Genome Editing Handling Procedures for Feed and Feed Additives
- Previous Dengue Infection Increases COVID-19 Risk
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 22, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 22, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: