FSANZ Seeks Public Comment for GM Corn ApprovalOctober 7, 2020
Food Standards New Zealand Australia (FSANZ) calls for public comment for an application for the sale and use of food derived from herbicide tolerant and insect-protected corn line DP23211. FSANZ has assessed the application made by Dow AgroSciences Australia Pty Ltd for GM corn DP23211, a line with tolerance to the herbicide glufosinate and is protected against corn rootworm insect pests.
The supporting document to Application A1202 states that no potential public health and safety concerns have been identified in the assessment of herbicide tolerant and insect-protected corn line DP23211. On the basis of the data provided in the present application, and other available information, food derived from DP23211 is considered to be as safe for human consumption as food derived from non-GM corn varieties.
A draft food regulatory measure has been prepared. Pursuant to section 31 of the FSANZ Act, FSANZ now calls for submissions to assist consideration of the draft variation. the deadline for submission is on November 12, 2020, 6 pm Canberra time. For more details, read visit the A1202 page on the FSANZ website.
You might also like:
- Comparison Between GM and Non-GM Maize Shows No Difference in Composition, Agronomic Traits
- FSANZ Rules GM Potatoes Are Safe, Calls the Public to Comment
- Biotech Crop Annual Updates: Maize
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Researchers Sequence Genomes of 600 Green Millet Plants, Find Gene for Dispersal
- Paraguay Simplifies Procedures in the Approval of GE Crops
- Transgenic Hybrid Corn Harvest Boosts Cuba's Confidence in Corn Yield
- FSANZ Seeks Public Comment for GM Corn Approval
- Farmer Survey Reveals Significant Economic, Environmental Benefits From GM Corn in Vietnam
- Research Explains Farmer Reluctance to Adopt New Technologies
- Gene for Resistance to Devastating Tomato Virus Now Identified
- Meta-analysis Detect Candidate Rice Genes Involved in Salt Tolerance
- DNA-Free Screening System for Gene Editing in Hot and Sweet Bell Peppers
- Scientists Explore on Genetic Transformation of Mosquitoes
- Researchers Develop Pale Purplish-Pink Petunia via CRISPR-Cas9
- Researchers Engineer Drug-Like Compounds that Disable SARS-CoV-2's Replication Engine
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: