Better Resistance to Citrus Canker Achieved Using CRISPR-Cas9-mediated EditingAugust 7, 2019
Experts from Southwest University in China successfully reduced the susceptibility of Wanjincheng orange to citrus canker, a destructive disease of citrus causing losses worldwide. The results are published in Plant Biotechnology Reports.
In a previous study, Lijuan Wang and colleagues found out that CsWRKY22 is involved in the plant immunity response to citrus canker in Wanjincheng orange. Thus, they targeted that specific gene to enhance the resistance of Wanjincheng orange against citrus canker using the CRISPR-Cas9 system. From the 7 transgenic plants, 3 mutant plants showed high mutation rates. Resistance tests showed that the mutant plants exhibited lesser susceptibility to citrus canker.
Based on the results, CRISPR-Cas9 targeted gene modification is an effective tool in improving disease resistance in citrus.
Read the research article in Plant Biotechnology Reports.
You might also like:
- Development of Canker-Resistant Citrus through CRISPR-Cas9 Editing of Susceptibility Gene Promoter
- Rice Gene Confers Citrus Canker Resistance to Transgenic Mandarin
- Pocket K No. 54: Plant Breeding Innovation: CRISPR-Cas9
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture Turns 15
- Plant Breeding Innovation Can Help Solve Global Challenges
- Iowans Prefer Presidential Candidates Who Support Science
- Scientists Find Missing Link in Algal Photosynthesis
- UK Farmers Endorse Adoption of GM Crops, Survey Reveals
- Insect Resistant Rice Had No Effect on the Interspecific Interactions of Rice Planthoppers
- Mechanism to Improve Stress Tolerance in Plants Identified
- Scientists Identify Genes that First Enabled Plants to Grow Leaves
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Better Resistance to Citrus Canker Achieved Using CRISPR-Cas9-mediated Editing
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used in Mutagenesis of Soybean Seed Storage Protein Genes
Subscribe to CBU: