Agricultural Progress Anchored on the Newly-signed Executive OrderJuly 24, 2019
In June 2019, U.S. President Donald Trump signed the executive order on modernizing the regulatory framework for agricultural biotechnology and its products. This aims to follow the recent recommendations of the Agriculture and Rural Prosperity Task Force in April 2017 to facilitate innovation, ensure coordination across regulatory agencies, and safely enable billions of people across America and the world to reap the benefits from the products of agricultural biotechnology.
Although the executive order did not come with funds attached, the primary benefit of getting this one signed is how it provides the needed coordinated framework among the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the Food and Drug Administration. This will also enable them to review each of their own regulations, and settle any issues among the three agencies.
More importantly, this executive order addresses the global regulatory situation for agricultural biotechnology, putting importance on the trading aspect. It was emphasized that promoting future innovations and improving the competitiveness of the U.S. biotech industry depends on an efficient global trading system that is anchored on science-based regulations.
Visit The White House website to know more about the executive order.
You might also like:
- Communication Challenges and Convergence in Crop Biotechnology
- The Current Status of CRISPR-Cas9 Applications in Food and Agri
- USDA Revises Biotech Regulations to SECURE Agri Innovations
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- New Software Allows Plant Breeders to Select Best Traits
- Research Presents 5-Course 'Menu of Solutions' to Feed the World's 10 Billion by 2050
- Farmers in Uganda Eager for the Commercialization of Ag-biotech Products
- Kenyan Clergy Supports Bt Cotton Cultivation
- Improved Cacao Reference Genome Secures the Future of Chocolate
- Agricultural Progress Anchored on the Newly-signed Executive Order
- SABC Seeks Tax Exemption on Essential Farm Inputs to Fight Fall Armyworm
- Two-year Field Trial Shows Cry1Ie Maize Has No Effect on Soil Animals
- Argentina Successfully Develops Boll Weevil-Resistant Cotton
- Fundamental Discovery Key to Creating Better Crops
- New Regulatory Mechanism of Self-Incompatibility in Rapeseed Reported
- How about CRISPR-edited Crops in Organic Agriculture?
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: