PABIC Organizes Science Writing SeminarJuly 4, 2018
The Pakistan Biotechnology Information Center (PABIC) in collaboration with print media and International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) University of Karachi held a half-day seminar for science communicators on June 20, 2018.
The seminar, titled, "Significance of Popular Science Writing" was attended by more than 100 participants from print and electronic media, as well as scientists and science writers. Speakers included, Mr. Aleem Ahmed (Senior Journalist and Blog Editor at Express News), Mr. Suhail Yousuf, (Feature Editor at Express News), Professor Dr. Jamil Hasan Kazmi, Chairman – Department of Geography, University of Karachi, and ICCBS Director Prof. Dr. M. Iqbal Choudhary.
The speakers mentioned that science provides rationality and value in society. They pointed out that science can help feed the hungry as it contributes to poverty alleviation, and heals the sick. Unfortunately, less than 0.1 percent time of electronic media is dedicated to science and technology, and the internet has contributed a lot towards misinformation about science. The speakers concluded that the promotion of science at the grassroots level is needed urgently. They said that Pakistan is confronting extremism, which can be remedied by science.
For details about biotechnology in Pakistan, visit the PABIC website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Study Shows Labeling Reduced GMO Food Fears
- GM Tomatoes Give Fish a Pinkish Glow
- Biotech Corn Variety Shows Resistance to Ear Rot
- ISAAA Reports New Record-High Adoption of GM Crops
- Australian OGTR Approves Commercial Release of GM Safflower
- New Mechanism for Plant Hormone Auxin Discovered
- "GMOs Are Vital Against Hunger," Says Nobel Laureate Sir Richard J. Roberts
- Arabidopsis HTT2 Improves Thermotolerance in Heading Chinese Cabbage
- OsIPMS1 Plays Key Role in Seed Vigor of Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Chinese Scientists Complete Genome Sequencing of Tropical Sage Plant
- Scientists Develop Biological Switch to Control Genome Editing
- PagFBL1 Promotes Adventitious Root Formation in Poplar
From the BICs
- PABIC Organizes Science Writing Seminar
- Global Congress on Biotechnology
- Application of CRISPR-Cas9 in China's Medicinal Yam
- Ms45 Homeologs Hold Key to Male Sterility in Wheat
- AgriLife Scientists Use Gene Knock in Approach for Broad Disease Resistance in Food Crops
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (October 4, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: