Chinese Scientists Complete Genome Sequencing of Tropical Sage PlantJuly 4, 2018
Chinese scientists have sequenced the tropical sage genome, which will help with breeding and growing other sage plants, most valued for their aroma and appearance.
Xin Haibo, senior engineer with the Beijing Institute of Gardening Science and a member of the research team, said establishing the plant's genetic mechanism is valuable for breeding and editing the genomes of other coordinal plants.
Tropical sage is used in public gardens all over the world. The Beijing institute has developed over 10 varieties of tropical sage. Xin said that through genetic technology, they can control the colors and timing of blossoming, and extract essential sage oil and other aromatic and medicinal components from tropical sage.
Other details available at the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Study Shows Labeling Reduced GMO Food Fears
- GM Tomatoes Give Fish a Pinkish Glow
- Biotech Corn Variety Shows Resistance to Ear Rot
- ISAAA Reports New Record-High Adoption of GM Crops
- Australian OGTR Approves Commercial Release of GM Safflower
- New Mechanism for Plant Hormone Auxin Discovered
- "GMOs Are Vital Against Hunger," Says Nobel Laureate Sir Richard J. Roberts
- Arabidopsis HTT2 Improves Thermotolerance in Heading Chinese Cabbage
- OsIPMS1 Plays Key Role in Seed Vigor of Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Application of CRISPR-Cas9 in China's Medicinal Yam
- Ms45 Homeologs Hold Key to Male Sterility in Wheat
- AgriLife Scientists Use Gene Knock in Approach for Broad Disease Resistance in Food Crops
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Chinese Scientists Complete Genome Sequencing of Tropical Sage Plant
- Scientists Develop Biological Switch to Control Genome Editing
- PagFBL1 Promotes Adventitious Root Formation in Poplar
From the BICs
- PABIC Organizes Science Writing Seminar
- Global Congress on Biotechnology
Subscribe to CBU: