OsMTP11 Gene Regulates Magnesium Transport and Homeostasis in RiceMay 23, 2018
Metal tolerance proteins (MTPs), which belong to the cation diffusion facilitator family (CDF), have been known to be involved in metal transport and homeostasis in different plant species. The team of Gang Ma from Nanjing Agricultural University in China recently studied the role of the rice gene OsMTP11, which encodes a CDF.
The team found that expression of OsMTP11 enhances manganese (Mn) tolerance in the Mn-sensitive yeast mutant. Meanwhile, knockdown of OsMTP11 in rice resulted in growth inhibition due to the presence of high concentrations of Mn, leading to increased accumulation of Mn in the shoots and roots.
Overexpression of OsMTP11 was found to enhance Mn tolerance in rice, even under a toxic level of Mn. Analysis revealed that the OsMTP11 protein is localized to the trans-Golgi network (TGN), and regulates Mn relocalization under high levels of Mn.
These suggest that OsMTP11 protein is required for Mn homeostasis and contributes towards Mn tolerance in rice.
For more information, read the article in Plant Science.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Farmers and Experts Look Forward to Bt Cotton Adoption to Revive Textile Industry in Kenya
- Study Explains How Pathogen Proteins Work Together to Attack Plants
- Plant Peptide Plays a Role in Salt Stress Tolerance
- Legislators Bat for the Advancement of Agri-biotech in PH
- GM Meets GE in Camelina Field Trials
- Spanish Scientists Find Crop Genes to Adapt to Climate Change
- Study Says GM Potato Can Help Cut Pesticide Use by Up to 90%
- Lack of 'Happiness' Hormone Makes Rice Plants Less Attractive to Insects
- OsMTP11 Gene Regulates Magnesium Transport and Homeostasis in Rice
- OXI1 Kinase Involved in Aphid Resistance in Arabidopsis
- Researchers Find Potential Gene for Enhancing Oil Content of Canola
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-edited Rice Plants Get Major Boost in Grain Yield
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used to Knock Out Genes in Robusta Coffee
- Researchers Test TALEN Genome Editing on Peanut
- Argentine Scientists Develop Non-Browning Potatoes Using CRISPR
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Therapeutic Nanoparticles Could Help Save Sickly Crops
- Green Tissue-Specific Promoters Used to Alter Lignin Production in Switchgrass
- Biotechnology Conference 2018
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (May 25, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (May 18, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (May 25, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: