Biodiversity Conservation Agency Holds Workshop on Insect Resistance Management on GM Crops in VietnamSeptember 13, 2017
Biodiversity Conservation Agency, in coordination with CropLife Asia, held a workshop on Insect Resistance Management (IRM) on Genetically Modified Crops in Vietnam. The workshop took place in Vinh Phuc province on August 3-4, 2017.
Biodiversity Conservation Agency Director, Phạm Anh Cường, stressed the need to establish and issue the guidelines for risk assessment of GM crops. The presentations were focused on the following topics:
- current status of granting biosafety approval certificates for GM events in Vietnam
- IRM principles & considerations for an effective IRM program
- international approaches to insect management on GM crops
- the Philippine experience on IRM
- international experience in establishing, implementing, and monitoring herbicide resistance management plans
- proposal of IRM strategy and monitoring protocol for Vietnam
- draft of Supplementary plan, Amendment of the Decree 69/2010/NĐ-CP dated 21/6/2010 of the Government.
The workshop participants discussed and commented on Vietnam's policies and systems for biosafety management of GMO; the situation of biosafety approval certificates of GM crops in Vietnam; program and guidelines for IRM; and possible changes in the weed populations of glyphosate tolerant maize cultivation systems.
For more information, read the Vietnamese news at the Vietnam Biosafety Clearing House Portal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- NAM Adopts Resolution Supporting Biotechnology
- Scientists Unlock Secrets of Photosynthesis
- New Oat Variety Developed to Help Reduce Cholesterol
- Sweet Potato Genome Provides Insights on its Revolutionary History
- Vietnam Eyes GM Corn to Help Reduce Corn Imports
- Glyphosate Has No Endocrine Disrupting Properties, EFSA Peer Review Concludes
- Scientists Decode Finger Millet Genome
- Lysin Motif-Containing Proteins Play Role in Defense against Verticillium dahliae in Cotton
- CAAS Scientists Develop GE Cabbage Resistant to Diamondback Moth
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 to Change Morning Glory's Flower Color
- CRISPR-Cas9-Mediated Mutagenesis of SlMAPK3 Reduces Drought Tolerance in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Overexpression of HbERF-IXc5 Enhances Abiotic Stress Tolerance and Latex Production in Rubber
- Brazil Releases GM Mosquitoes to Combat Diseases
From the BICs
- Biodiversity Conservation Agency Holds Workshop on Insect Resistance Management on GM Crops in Vietnam
- Let the CRISPR Games Begin!
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 17, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (August 10, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: