Davao's Vegetable Council Backs Commercial Planting of Bt Eggplant in the PhilippinesSeptember 6, 2017
The Vegetable Industry Council of Southern Mindanao (Vicsmin) in the Philippines has expressed its full support for the commercial planting of Bt eggplant in the country. This came after Vicsmin officers and members signed a one-page manifesto of support during the roundtable discussion on Bt Eggplant held on September 4, 2017 in Davao City. Vicsmin, a non-profit organization that advocates policies beneficial to the vegetable industry in the region, has 40 active member institutions and 20 individual farmers.
After a thorough discussion with Dr. Lourdes D. Taylo, Bt eggplant study leader from the University of the Philippines Los Baños on the science, safety, and the potential actual benefits of modern biotechnology, Vicsmin in their one-page manifesto says: "We realize that Bt eggplant, which contains the gene similar to the insect-resistant Bt corn, can bring benefits to our communities such as higher yield and income, reduce chemical use, and improve environmental health. We believe that the Bt eggplant is a healthier and safer alternative solution against the relentless insect pest, the eggplant fruit and shoot borer (EFSB)."
Vicsmin President Gienovivo A. Cajes said, "If Bangladesh farmers are now planting Bt eggplant why can't we plant it here?"
For more information about agricultural biotechnology in the Philippines, visit the SEARCA Biotechnology Information website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Policy Reforms Key in Biotech/GM Crops Adoption in Africa
- Researchers Explore New Source of Virus Resistance in Wheat
- South American Agriculture Ministers Urge EU & China to Stop Delaying GMO Import Authorizations
- Study Gives Insights into Plants' Light Harvesting Process Under Low Light
- Davao's Vegetable Council Backs Commercial Planting of Bt Eggplant in the Philippines
- APEC: Biotechnology Powerful Tool for Sustainable Agriculture
- RNAi Increases Soybean's Resistance to Viral Pathogens
- OsMYB45 Plays a Vital Role in Cadmium Stress Resistance in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- The Role of OsMADS3 in Regulating Meristem Maintenance in Rice
- CRISPR-Cas9 Genome Editing in MicroRNA of Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Develop New Approach to Protect Honey Bees
- Expression of Aflatoxin-Detoxifizyme in the Parotid Gland of Transgenic Pigs
From the BICs
- Conference on Biotech Applications Held in Phu Yen, Vietnam
- New ISAAA Pocket K on Biotech-improved Animals
- Updated ISAAA Infographics on Biotech Crops Now Available
Subscribe to CBU: