OsMYB45 Plays a Vital Role in Cadmium Stress Resistance in RiceSeptember 6, 2017
Cadmium (Cd) is one of the most toxic heavy metal elements and can cause serious damage to plant cells. The team of Shubao Hu from Nanjing Agricultural University in China hypothesized that the transcription factor OsMYB45 is involved in Cd stress response in rice.
OsMYB45 was found to be highly expressed in rice leaves, husks, stamens, pistils, and lateral roots, and its expression is induced by Cd stress. Mutation of OsMYB45 resulted in hypersensitivity to Cd treatment, which doubled the concentration of hydrogen peroxide in the leaves of the mutants, while the activity of catalase (CAT), which catalyzes the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen, was halved.
Further analysis indicated that the expression of OsCATA and OsCATC, genes related to catalase, is significantly lower in the mutants than in wildtypes. Overexpression of OsMYB45 in the mutant also rescued the mutant phenotype.
These results reveal that OsMYB45 plays an important role in tolerance to Cd stress in rice.
For more information, read the article in Plant Science.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Policy Reforms Key in Biotech/GM Crops Adoption in Africa
- Researchers Explore New Source of Virus Resistance in Wheat
- South American Agriculture Ministers Urge EU & China to Stop Delaying GMO Import Authorizations
- Study Gives Insights into Plants' Light Harvesting Process Under Low Light
- Davao's Vegetable Council Backs Commercial Planting of Bt Eggplant in the Philippines
- APEC: Biotechnology Powerful Tool for Sustainable Agriculture
- RNAi Increases Soybean's Resistance to Viral Pathogens
- OsMYB45 Plays a Vital Role in Cadmium Stress Resistance in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Develop New Approach to Protect Honey Bees
- Expression of Aflatoxin-Detoxifizyme in the Parotid Gland of Transgenic Pigs
From the BICs
- Conference on Biotech Applications Held in Phu Yen, Vietnam
- New ISAAA Pocket K on Biotech-improved Animals
- Updated ISAAA Infographics on Biotech Crops Now Available
- The Role of OsMADS3 in Regulating Meristem Maintenance in Rice
- CRISPR-Cas9 Genome Editing in MicroRNA of Rice
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: