Protective Protein of Water Bears Helps Human DNA Withstand X-ray DamageOctober 12, 2016
Tardigrades or water bears, are aquatic invertebrates known to have the ability to withstand extreme conditions such as cruel vacuum, intense cold, and radiation of space. While investigating on this exemplary ability, scientists discovered another superpower of tardigrade, which lies in its protective protein. This particular protein can provide resistance to damaging X-rays. Thus, scientists from the University of Tokyo transferred this resistance to human cells.
The protein called Dsup was able to prevent disruption of the tardigrade's DNA when exposed to radiation and dessication. When the tardigrade-tinged human cells were exposed to X-ray, the damage was suppressed by about 40 percent.
Read more details from Nature.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Nobel Prize for Chemistry Awarded to Molecular Machine Makers
- Tanzania Plants First GM Maize Field Trial
- Ethiopian Government Commended for Agri-biotech Initiatives
- First Harvest of Arctic® Golden Apples Completed
- American Soybean Growers Urge US House, Senate to Support Biotech Education Funding
- Chinese Scientists Control Verticillium dahliae Wilt Using Gene Technology
- Expression of Phytase Gene in Wheat Endosperm Increases Availability of Iron and Zinc
- Transcription Factor ERF109 Improves Salt Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Overexpression of AtOxR Improves Abiotic Stress Tolerance and Vitamin C Content in Arabidopsis
Plant Breeding Innovations
- TALENs-mediated Targeted DNA Insertion Approach for Potato
- Scientists Review the Use of Engineered Viruses in Genome Editing Tools
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Protective Protein of Water Bears Helps Human DNA Withstand X-ray Damage
- Beer Yeast Genomes Reveal Domestication History
From the BICs
- ACSAD and EBIC Hold Biotech Workshop and Form Arab Biotech Network
- ICABBBE 2017
Subscribe to CBU: