Bt Eggplant Performance in the Philippines for the Control of the Eggplant Fruit and Shoot BorerJune 22, 2016
Eggplant (Solanum melongena) is a vegetable grown throughout Asia that is ravaged by the eggplant fruit and shoot borer (EFSB) , Leucinodes orbonalis, prompting farmers to treat it heavily with insecticides. While Bt technology has been used for controlling insect pests in maize and cotton, there have been only few Bt vegetable crops.
Dr. Desiree Hautea and her team from the Institute of Plant Breeding/ Crop Science Cluster of the University of the Philippines Los Baños, together with collaborators from Cornell University and the International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications (ISAAA) now present data on the field performance of Bt eggplant in the Philippines.
Replicated field trials with five Bt eggplant open-pollinated (OP) lines and their non-Bt counterparts were conducted for three cropping seasons in the biggest eggplant growing province of Pangasinan from 2010–2012. The trials evaluated levels of Cry1Ac protein in plants and evaluated their efficacy against EFSB.
The Bt eggplant exhibited excellent control of EFSB and were significantly better than their non-Bt counterparts in all parameters tested. These results show how Bt eggplant lines effectively control EFSB, which can greatly reduce the need for conventional insecticides.
For more on this study, read the full article in Plos One.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- New Report Says Bioenergy Can Support Food Security
- Ghanaian Scientists Urge Gov't to Invest in Agricultural Research
- Tanzania is Ready for GM Crops, Affirms Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Agri
- USSEC and USGC Collaborate to Highlight Science-based Regulatory System in EU
- ISAAA Launched 2015 Biotech Crops Report in Myanmar
- Scientists Find Animal Hormone Melatonin is Involved in Plant Stress Tolerance
- University of Leeds Study Reports Crop Breeding Not Keeping Pace with Climate Change
- Tissue-specific Expression of AtNPR1 Gene in Rice Confers Sheath Blight Resistance
- Identification and Characterization of Nicotianamine Synthase Genes in Bread Wheat
- Bt Eggplant Performance in the Philippines for the Control of the Eggplant Fruit and Shoot Borer
Beyond Crop Biotech
- U.S. FDA Approves First Experimental Zika Vaccine for Clinical Trials
- Rice University Researchers Synthesizes New Cancer Fighter
- E-cigarette Use Alter Genes Involved in Airway Immune Defense
- Program Management for Plant Breeders Course
- Forest and Farm Producer Organizations-Operating Systems for the SDGs
Subscribe to CBU: