New Report Says Bioenergy Can Support Food SecurityJune 22, 2016
An international team of experts from 10 institutions has released Reconciling Food Security and Bioenergy: Priorities for Action, a report that says energy and food security can be simultaneously improved through well-designed biofuel and bioenergy development programs.
The report points out that food and energy security are complementary goals, as embodied in the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and in the Paris Agreement under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). The authors outline a number of ways in which development-focused efforts to promote food security and secure clean and reliable sources of energy for local populations can align in a synergistic way. The report identifies science-based steps to ensure that biofuels, food crops and natural resources can be managed sustainably together. It also contains conclusions pointing out how bioenergy can promote food security.
The report is published in the journal Global Change Biology Bioenergy, generated by an international and multidisciplinary collaboration that was initiated at a conference in November 2014. More details are available at the International Food Policy Research Institute website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- New Report Says Bioenergy Can Support Food Security
- Ghanaian Scientists Urge Gov't to Invest in Agricultural Research
- Tanzania is Ready for GM Crops, Affirms Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Agri
- USSEC and USGC Collaborate to Highlight Science-based Regulatory System in EU
- ISAAA Launched 2015 Biotech Crops Report in Myanmar
- Scientists Find Animal Hormone Melatonin is Involved in Plant Stress Tolerance
- University of Leeds Study Reports Crop Breeding Not Keeping Pace with Climate Change
- Tissue-specific Expression of AtNPR1 Gene in Rice Confers Sheath Blight Resistance
- Identification and Characterization of Nicotianamine Synthase Genes in Bread Wheat
- Bt Eggplant Performance in the Philippines for the Control of the Eggplant Fruit and Shoot Borer
Beyond Crop Biotech
- U.S. FDA Approves First Experimental Zika Vaccine for Clinical Trials
- Rice University Researchers Synthesizes New Cancer Fighter
- E-cigarette Use Alter Genes Involved in Airway Immune Defense
- Program Management for Plant Breeders Course
- Forest and Farm Producer Organizations-Operating Systems for the SDGs
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: