Workshop on Biotechnology in Bangladesh Focuses on Bt BrinjalDecember 3, 2014
A four-day workshop series on biotechnology and Bt brinjal was hosted by Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU) on November 22-25, 2014. Around 220 agricultural extension officers from different districts who are working and monitoring the commercial cultivation of Bt brinjal participated in the workshop. Experts from universities and institutes shared their knowledge and experiences on the cultivation of Bt brinjal. During the workshops, the participants asked questions regarding the cultivation, handling, marketing, and consumption of GM crops and Bt brinjal.
The workshop's chief guest was BAU Vice Chancellor Prof. Dr. Md Rafiqul Hoque. Special guests include Dr. Md Rafiqul Islam Mondal (Director General, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute and Executive Chairman of Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council), Dr. GP Das (Country Coordinator, Agricultural Biotechnology Support Project II), Prof. Dr. PC Modak (Dean, Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology), and Prof. Dr. Lutful Hassan (Director BAURES). Prof. Dr. Md Ziaul Haque, Head, Department of Agricultural Extension Education Chaired the sessions.
The workshop was facilitated by ABSP II, Sathguru, and Cornell University under the financial assistance of USAID.
For information about agricultural biotechnology developments in Bangladesh, contact the Bangladesh Biotechnology Information Center at email@example.com.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Genes for Bitter Taste of Wild Cucumber Revealed
- Researchers Identify Strategies on How to Scale out Agri Technologies
- Improved Sorghum Exhibit Tolerance against Sugarcane Aphids
- Nutrition and Safety Key to Consumer Acceptance of GM Foods
- Hawaii County GM Crop Ban Ordinance Invalid-Federal Judge
- Former UP Head Cites Biotech's Role in Asean Integration
- SEAsian Regulators and Researchers Brush Up on Safety Evaluation of Biotech Crops
- Filipino Film Makers Express Views on Biotech thru Short Videos
- Improving Chickpea with High Iron and Zinc Levels
- Tri-trophic Study Show that Bt Crops are Not Toxic to Insect Predator, Assassin Bug
- Effect of Ozone Stress on Soybean Productivity
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Button Mushroom, Improvements and Protection
- International Consortium Releases Genome Sequence of Malaria-Carrying Mosquitoes
From the BICs
- Workshop on Biotechnology in Bangladesh Focuses on Bt Brinjal
- Plant and Animal Genome Conference
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (September 21, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (September 21, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (August 31, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: