Shiitake Capable of Synthesizing Gold NanoparticlesMay 28, 2014
Gold nanoparticles have many applications in research from cancer therapy all the way to information technology. Various methods have been utilized to synthesize nanoparticles but these are costly and require harmful chemical compounds. In previous studies, several fungi have been found able to reduce gold from auric compounds to form nanoparticles. The medicinal shiitake mushroom (Lentinus edodes) is one of these fungi. This study focuses on examining the ability of shiitake to reduce auric chloride to elemental gold and accumulate nanoparticles in its vegetative part as well as to identify the enzymes involved in the process.
Several methods such as transmission electron microscopy and X-ray fluorescence were used to study the fungal activities. It was revealed that when the fungus was grown submerged in chloroauric acid (HAuCl4), colloidal gold accumulated as electron-dense, spherical particles on the surface as well as inside the fungus' mycelial hyphae. The size of these gold colloids ranged from 5 to 50 nanometers. It was also found that the fungal enzymes laccase, tyrosinase, and Mn-peroxidase were the ones involved in the reduction of auric chloride from chloroauric acid.
Visit http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168165614001990 for more on this study.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Report Presents Agri-Biotech Global Market Trends for 2013-2019
- NaCRRI-UBIC Holds Awards Ceremony for Maiden Biotech Essay Contest
- Agri-biotech and Communication Workshops in Egypt
- Nigerian Govt Official Promotes Biotech for Food Security
- Colorado State University and Cairo University Meet on Joint Activities
- Scientists Identify Disease Resistance Gene in Pepper
- Researchers Find Key Pieces to Corn Yield Puzzle
- Photosynthetic Algae Sent Into Space to Elucidate Key Plant Mechanisms
- First Satellite Remote-Sensing Lab for Crops Opens in Pakistan
- Workshop on Biotech Crops for Bac Giang Farmers in Vietnam
- Scientists Work to Sequence Key Brassica Species
- Researchers Release First Phytophthora Map of Europe
- Memory Genes Allow Maize to Adapt to Repeated Dehydration Stress
- Cotton Acquires Improved Drought Tolerance by Overexpressing the TaMnSOD Gene
- Scientists Develop High Oleic Soybean By Targeted Mutagenesis
- Beet Armyworm Secretions Trigger Expression of Defense Genes in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Shiitake Capable of Synthesizing Gold Nanoparticles
- 2014 BIO International Convention
- B4FA Releases Viewpoint Essays
- Bt Brinjal in Bangladesh–The True Story
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: