B4FA Releases Viewpoint EssaysMay 28, 2014
Biosciences for Farming in Africa (B4FA) released Viewpoint essays on biosciences and genetics featuring stories that surround crops that feed millions of people.
Award-winning MinnPost writer Sharon Schmickle describes the essays: "The stories unfolding as a result speak to urgent needs, explaining how crops can stand up to drought and disease. They are economic stories, explaining how a village, a nation or a region can feed itself with something left over to sell. They are political stories, explaining how policy choices determine whether children in the villages eat or go to bed hungry. They are the stories of genetic treasures hidden in local seed banks and of epic battles with crop-destroying pests."
Drs. Mariechel Navarro and Randy Hautea of ISAAA shared about the role of farmers in China, India, and the Philippines in sharing the benefits of biotech crops. Other essays include Genetically modified crops: how long before Africa sees its share of the gains by PG Economics' Graham Brookes; Better seeds, better yields by Tinashe Chiurugwe and Sean Butler of UK's National Institute of Agricultural Botany; and Changing the lives of smallholder farmers - A personal journey by Paul Seward, founder of Farm Input Promotions Africa Ltd.
Read the essays at http://b4fa.org/viewpoints/essays/.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Report Presents Agri-Biotech Global Market Trends for 2013-2019
- NaCRRI-UBIC Holds Awards Ceremony for Maiden Biotech Essay Contest
- Agri-biotech and Communication Workshops in Egypt
- Nigerian Govt Official Promotes Biotech for Food Security
- Colorado State University and Cairo University Meet on Joint Activities
- Scientists Identify Disease Resistance Gene in Pepper
- Researchers Find Key Pieces to Corn Yield Puzzle
- Photosynthetic Algae Sent Into Space to Elucidate Key Plant Mechanisms
- First Satellite Remote-Sensing Lab for Crops Opens in Pakistan
- Workshop on Biotech Crops for Bac Giang Farmers in Vietnam
- Scientists Work to Sequence Key Brassica Species
- Researchers Release First Phytophthora Map of Europe
- Memory Genes Allow Maize to Adapt to Repeated Dehydration Stress
- Cotton Acquires Improved Drought Tolerance by Overexpressing the TaMnSOD Gene
- Scientists Develop High Oleic Soybean By Targeted Mutagenesis
- Beet Armyworm Secretions Trigger Expression of Defense Genes in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Shiitake Capable of Synthesizing Gold Nanoparticles
- 2014 BIO International Convention
- B4FA Releases Viewpoint Essays
- Bt Brinjal in Bangladesh–The True Story
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: