Rockefeller, Jr. Visits IRRINovember 20, 2013
David Rockefeller, Jr., the leading fourth-generation member of the prominent Rockefeller family, has visited the International Rice Research Institute's (IRRI) headquarter in Los Baños, Philippines on 15 November 2013. Rockefeller, Jr visited IRRI to have an overview of the institute's research and, in turn, to discuss the Rockefeller Foundation's development agenda. He was appointed to the RF board of trustees, thus becoming the sixth member of the family to have served on the board since its founding by John D. Rockefeller in 1913.
IRRI is considered by many to be one of the Rockefeller Foundation's great success stories. In a feature article interview that appeared in Rice Today, Gary Toenniessen, Rockefeller Foundation's managing director, said that the whole idea of IRRI came out of the foundation. "It was based on what the then future Nobel Peace laureate Norman Borlaug had accomplished with wheat," he pointed out.
For more information, visit http://irri-news.blogspot.com/2013/11/rockefeller-scion-refreshes-historical.html.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Experts Identify New Approach to Tackling Food Insecurity, Climate Change
- China and US Can Work Together and Use Biotech to End Global Hunger
- Science Academies Call for Biotech Adoption in Africa
- FAO to Work Closely with AfricaRice to Improve Rice Production in Africa
- ICRISAT Opens Ethiopia Country Office
- Demand for Healthier Soybean Oil Grows
- USDA Funds Research to Improve Plant Production and Health
- New Technology to Help Food Crops Thrive in Crowded Fields
- Indonesia's Agri Official Promotes GM for Self-sufficiency in Food
- IRRI and Philippine DA Assess Rice Damage in Areas Affected by Typhoon Haiyan
- Rockefeller, Jr. Visits IRRI
- The Secret of Short Stems
- EFSA Still Validates Previous Opinions on GM Maize MON 863
- False Flax Can Produce High Levels of Omega-3 Oils
- Janabi Discusses Transformation from Anti-biotech Activist to Supporter of Biotech
- Collaborative Ring Trial of the Papaya Endogenous Reference Gene and Its PCR Assays for GMO Analysis
- Silencing of Carboxylesterase Gene to Weaken Aphids' Insecticide Tolerance
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Precision Gene Editing and Transgenic Monkeys to Study Human Diseases
- Collaboration on Breeding Disease, Heat Resistant Chicken
- New Approach to Identify Ecological Effects of Releasing GE Insects
Subscribe to CBU: