FAO to Work Closely with AfricaRice to Improve Rice Production in AfricaNovember 20, 2013
Highlighting the major challenges facing rice production in Africa such as water scarcity and salinity, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Director General José Graziano da Silva proposed a partnership with the Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice), particularly in knowledge on policy advice. Da Silva made the remark during his visit to AfricaRice's headquarter in Cotonou, Benin.
AfricaRice Interim Director General Dr. Adama Traoré added that FAO and AfricaRice have been closely collaborating in several areas. This includes the collection and conservation of rice genetic resources, development of rice seed systems, New Rice for Africa (NERICA) dissemination efforts, and the Emergency Rice Initiative in Africa after the 2008 food crisis.
See AfricaRice's news release at http://africarice.blogspot.com/2013/11/fao-dg-pledges-to-work-with-africarice.html.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Experts Identify New Approach to Tackling Food Insecurity, Climate Change
- China and US Can Work Together and Use Biotech to End Global Hunger
- Science Academies Call for Biotech Adoption in Africa
- FAO to Work Closely with AfricaRice to Improve Rice Production in Africa
- ICRISAT Opens Ethiopia Country Office
- Demand for Healthier Soybean Oil Grows
- USDA Funds Research to Improve Plant Production and Health
- New Technology to Help Food Crops Thrive in Crowded Fields
- Indonesia's Agri Official Promotes GM for Self-sufficiency in Food
- IRRI and Philippine DA Assess Rice Damage in Areas Affected by Typhoon Haiyan
- Rockefeller, Jr. Visits IRRI
- The Secret of Short Stems
- EFSA Still Validates Previous Opinions on GM Maize MON 863
- False Flax Can Produce High Levels of Omega-3 Oils
- Janabi Discusses Transformation from Anti-biotech Activist to Supporter of Biotech
- Collaborative Ring Trial of the Papaya Endogenous Reference Gene and Its PCR Assays for GMO Analysis
- Silencing of Carboxylesterase Gene to Weaken Aphids' Insecticide Tolerance
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Precision Gene Editing and Transgenic Monkeys to Study Human Diseases
- Collaboration on Breeding Disease, Heat Resistant Chicken
- New Approach to Identify Ecological Effects of Releasing GE Insects
Subscribe to CBU: