Finnish Oil Refiner to Explore Straw and Waste for BiodieselAugust 7, 2013
News article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-02/neste-experiments-with-making-biodiesel-from-straw-and-waste.html
In Finland, Neste Oil is seeking to expand the materials it can turn into biodiesel by exploring the use of straw and waste.
While straw and waste are typically used in ethanol production, the company is interested in these feedstocks for use in biodiesel production because the market demand for biodiesel is growing faster and considering that Europe is predominantly diesel-fuelled. Straw and waste are among the inedible feedstocks that have attracted interests from biofuel developers as biofuels made from edible crops like corn, wheat and sugarcane have been blamed for food shortages and food price increases.
Currently Neste is able to produce biofuel from several feedstocks such as vegetable oil, fat from fish processing and animal fats. It has opened what it claims as Europe's first pilot plant for making biodiesel from agricultural and forestry waste.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists to Use Gene Sequencing to Combat Witchweed, Other Parasitic Plants
- CGIAR Releases Guidelines on Management of Its Intellectual Assets
- Newly-discovered Rice Gene for Drought Resistance
- New Seed Variety Unveiled in Kenya
- Ghanaian Journalists Trained in Biotechnology
- Vitamin A Cassava Launched in Nigeria
- AfricaRice Sets Up Region-wide Network of Rice Hubs
- Study on Plant Mechanism Gives New Perspective on Climate Research
- Argentine Scientists Develop Virus Resistant GM Potato
- New Research Could Lead to Better-Tasting, Disease Resistant Tomatoes
- IndoBIC Hosts a Break to Fasting Event for GM Crops
- Philippine Media Visit Golden Rice Screenhouse
- Scientists Discover Gene Resistant to Leaf Rust
- Vietnam's Biosafety Process Reported
- Scientists Identify Natural Plant Compound that Can Protect Maize from Leafhoppers
- USDA GAIN Report on Agribiotechnology in Russia
- Effect of High Temperature and Pressure on Transgene Content of Biotech Maize
- Meta-analysis: Bt Maize No Effect on 26 NTO in Spain
- Plant Genome Evolution in Amsterdam
- Distance Learning Course in Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology
- WTO and Decade of China Cotton
Subscribe to CBU: