High School Teachers Tackle CRISPR in Biotech ClassesJuly 20, 2022
High school students in the U.S. are now learning about CRISPR, a decade after it started as a vital tool in genetic research. Some specialized schools include hands-on experiments using CRISPR as part of their lessons on biotechnology.
"Visualizing and comprehending what's happening on the molecular level is usually always the challenge,” said Katy Gazda, a high school biotechnology teacher who has experienced discussing CRISPR in her classes in 2021. To assist students in understanding complex molecular mechanisms, teachers use tools such as paper models, 3-D printed models and animated simulations.
Another high school teacher named Gregory Jubulis uses Bio-Rad kit in his biotechnology class. “I just want my kids to be ready for the future of science,” he said.
Read more from the Genetic Literacy Project.
You might also like:
- Integrating Biotech Training in Uganda's Education System
- Pocket K No. 54: Plant Breeding Innovation: CRISPR-Cas9
- Scientists Use CRISPR to Develop Apples Resistant to Fire Blight
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
Research and Tools
- Experts Boost Plant Immunity to Face Warming Temperatures
- Study Gauges Public Acceptance of Gene-edited Foods
- SCNT-CRISPR-Cas9 Combo Successfully Produces Genome-edited Dogs
- Biotech Company Uses CRISPR to Edit Cholesterol Gene
Public Acceptance and Engagement
- High School Teachers Tackle CRISPR in Biotech Classes
- Experts Highlight Gene Editing Potentials for Vietnam’s Agri Sector
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 10, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (August 10, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: