Peach DNA UnraveledApril 8, 2010
The genomic sequence of the Lovell peach tree is completed, says the news article from Clemson University. This is the result of an extensive research program pioneered at Clemson University under the leadership of Albert Abbott who holds the Robert and Lois Coker Trustees Chair in Molecular Genetics and a professor in the genetics and biochemistry department. The peach tree was chosen as the model tree genome for identifying and understanding genes that are critical for deciduous tree growth and development.
The peach genome would be useful in determining important traits in the genome of peach tree relatives such as apples and plums and in deciphering important traits such as genes for nutritional enhancement. Bryon Sosinski, an associate professor of horticultural science at N.C. State University and American coordinator in the peach sequencing project said that the effort spanned the globe, involving scientists in Italy, Spain and Chile, with the N.C. State, the Joint Genome Institute, Clemson and Washington State universities being the principal partners in the U.S.
For details, see the news article at http://www.clemson.edu/media-relations/article.php?article_id=2686.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Videos and Podcasts on Global Status of Biotech/GM Crops
- Syngenta and CIMMYT Establish Industry-Leading Partnership to Advance Wheat Research
- Drought Tolerant and Striga Resistant Maize for Ghana
- Doubled Haploid Technology for Quickly Developing Inbred Corn Lines at ISU
- ASTA Research Develops Tools for US Corn Breeders
- Diverse Wheat Tapped for Antifungal Genes
- Research Tools for Longer Lasting Blooms
- Researchers Analyze the Pea Aphid Genome
- Peach DNA Unraveled
- FSANZ Considering Applications for GM Foods
- Filipina Biochemist, First ASEAN L'oréal-UNESCO Science Awardee
- Pan-Asia Farmers Share Biotech Knowledge and Experiences
- Sixth Biotech Workshop for Farmers in Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Invitation to Comment on GM Wheat and Barley Environmental Release by OGTR
- Cherry Tomatoes Produced In Large Scale in Pakistan
- Pakistan Minister: Modernize Agricultural Sector
- DevGen and IRRI Form Partnership on Rice Research
- Report Looks at How Europeans View Agriculture
- Biotech Industry Network Launched
- UI Scientists Says Slimming Soybeans are on the Horizon
- Biologists Discover an On/Off Button on Plants' Alarm System
- Bringing Dehydrated Plants "Back to Life"
- FoodInsights.org Website
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: