World's First-to-Market Cultivated Meat Receives U.S. FDA ClearanceMarch 29, 2023
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has completed its second pre-market consultation for human food made from cultured animal cells. California-based GOOD Meat, a division of Eat Just, Inc., uses animal cell culture technology to take living cells from chickens and grow the cells in a controlled environment to make cultured animal cell food.
The FDA issued a "no questions" letter to GOOD Meat as part of pre-market consultations for a new kind of meat, poultry, and seafood made from cells instead of raised and slaughtered animals. The letter means that following a careful and rigorous evaluation, the FDA accepted the company's conclusion that its first poultry product, cultivated chicken, is safe to eat.
The United States joins Singapore as a global leader in creating a regulatory pathway to market for real, safe, and high-quality meat produced directly from animal cells. GOOD Meat won several regulatory approvals for its chicken in Singapore in 2020, 2021, and 2023, and is the only cultivated meat producer in the world with the ability to sell to consumers.
For more details, read the article in the GOOD Meat Newsroom.
You might also like:
- Cellular Agriculture Key to Food Security, Says GlobalData
- Study Says SCiFi Foods Plant-Based Burger Better for the Environment
- Ever After Foods to Produce Cultivated Meat Using Patented Platform
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- Climate Extremes Heat and Drought Reduce Crop Yields
- Onsite Seminar: Public Perception of Agri-biotech in the Philippines
- African Experts Call for Appropriate Regulatory Mechanisms for Biotech
- UK's Precision Breeding Bill Now an Act of Parliament
- B-SAFE Webinar Series: Opportunities and Benefits of Aquaculture/Fishery Biotechnology to the Philippine Aquaculture/Fishery Industry
- World's First-to-Market Cultivated Meat Receives U.S. FDA Clearance
- FAO Expects Return of Seeds from Space
- Plant Molecular Farming Promotes Accessibility, Reduced Costs of Pharmaceuticals
- Enzyme That Converts Air to Electricity Can Become New Source of Renewable Energy
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: