More than 100 Tons of Golden Rice Harvested in the PhilippinesJanuary 11, 2023
The Department of Agriculture Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) has announced that more than 100 tons of fresh paddy of beta carotene-enriched Malusog Rice (Golden Rice) have been harvested in 17 pioneer production sites across the country.
This first harvest will be milled for distribution in target households in selected provinces in the country with preschool children at-risk for vitamin A deficiency (VAD) and undernutrition, as well as pregnant and lactating mothers. VAD leads to poor eyesight and weak immune systems, making children prone to viral infections and other diseases and delaying growth and development. The municipalities of Viga and Virac in the province of Catanduanes had already received promotional packs of Malusog Rice as part of the initial household distribution. Catanduanes is one of the seven pilot provinces to receive the beta carotene-enriched variety as it has one of the highest incidences of malnutrition in the country, according to the Expanded National Nutrition Survey conducted by the Department of Science and Technology – Food and Nutrition Research Institute.
The governor of Antique province, Rhodora Cadiao, said that Malusog Rice could be one of the ways to address the province's VAD problem among preschool and school children. Farmer-cooperators also showed their support and delight as the first to plant and harvest Malusog Rice in their respective provinces. “As I have observed, Golden Rice has good quality seeds, and I want to taste it already. It also has good characteristics in terms of its elongated stem. I was encouraged to be a cooperator of GR to help the government minimize cases of malnutrition,” said Leo Franco Ebardo, a seed grower in Bayugan City in the province of Agusan del Sur.
Malusog Rice (Golden Rice) is branded after its first variety registered in the National Seed Industry Council as Malusog 1 or NSIC 2022 Rc 682GR2E.
For more details, read the article on the PhilRice website.
You might also like:
- Farmer from Antique Harvests Golden Rice for the First Time
- DA-PhilRice Names First 7 Provinces to Sow Golden Rice Seeds
- DA PhilRice Ready to Deploy Golden Rice Seeds to Farmer Cooperative
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Policy Brief Presents Environmental, Socio-economic, and Health Impact Assessment for Gene Drive Organisms
- Nations Adopt Agreement to Protect Biodiversity with 2030 Goals and Targets
- APHIS: GE Soybean and GE Chrysanthemum Unlikely to Pose Increased Plant Pest Risk
- More than 100 Tons of Golden Rice Harvested in the Philippines
- Gene Mechanism Affecting Rice Chill Tolerance Discovered
- Transgenic Hairy Root System of Field Mustard Helps Decrease Cadmium Pollution in Soil
- Study Reveals Impact of Sulfur on Mercury Accumulation in Rice
- Review Paper Presents Role of Lactoferrin in Plant Defense
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (June 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: