DA PhilRice Ready to Deploy Golden Rice Seeds to Farmer CooperativeMay 25, 2022
The Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) announced that it has chosen the province of Lanao del Norte to identify a farmer cooperative that will plant Golden Rice as part of the seed production in preparation for the distribution to households in the Philippines.
In the media briefing Talakayan sa PIA held on May 17, 2022, broadcasted by the Philippine Information Agency (PIA) Region 10, Dr. Ronan Zagado, Program Leader of Golden Rice-Project Management Office of the Department of Agriculture-PhilRice, announced that they are now working on the Golden Rice seeds deployment in the province of Lanao del Norte located in the northwestern part of the main island of Mindanao in the Philippines. The seeds will be given for free as part of the pilot scale deployment and the province was the first to identify a farmer cooperative that will plant Golden Rice. Dr. Zagado added that Golden Rice was developed to make rice healthier for the consumers. It has a higher beta-carotene content than regular rice to address Vitamin A deficiency, but it is expected to cost and taste just the same. It will eventually be distributed to households with malnutrition incidence.
More details can be found in the press release by the Philippine Information Agency and the report by Business Week Mindanao.
You might also like:
- Golden Rice Now Approved for Commercial Planting in the Philippines
- Philippines Approves Golden Rice for Direct Use as Food and Feed, or for Processing
- Golden Rice Has Same Nutrients as Traditional Rice Except for the Increased Provitamin A Content
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO DG Qu Dongyu: It's Time to Transform Agrifood Systems
- Oats Genome Explains Why the Popular Cereal Could be Suitable for People with Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance
- DA PhilRice Ready to Deploy Golden Rice Seeds to Farmer Cooperative
- European Commission Approves Two GM Crops for Food and Feed
- Location of SunUp's Transgenic Insertions Affirms It's Still Safe for Consumption
- India Eases Process for Release of Genome Edited Plants Without Foreign DNA
- Philippines Releases Regulations for Gene-edited Plants
- Health Canada Issues Gene Editing Guidelines, Encourages Transparency
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: