Farmer from Antique Harvests Golden Rice for the First TimeOctober 26, 2022
The rice land in Sibalom, Antique, is one of the three pilot areas in the province picked by the Department of Agriculture Philippine Rice Research Institute (DA PhilRice) for seed production. The Department of Science and Technology – Food and Nutrition Research Institute (DOST-FNRI) has identified Antique as the second province in Western Visayas with the highest prevalence of stunting in 2019. Stunting is a symptom of Vitamin A deficiency, which Golden Rice is addressing.
“The stalks are sturdier compared to other seed varieties. It does not get lodged…To my fellow farmers, I encourage them to plant Golden Rice when the supply increases,” said the seed grower, Emerson.
The harvested rice will be dried, certified, and then distributed to other farms in the province to expand Golden Rice production.
Read the original story from the Province of Antique.
You might also like:
- Updates on PH's Commercialized Biotech Crops: Biotech Corn and Golden Rice
- Golden Rice Now Approved for Commercial Planting in the Philippines
- GM Approval Database - GR2E
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Environmental and Economic Impact of GM Crop Use from 1996 to 2020
- Ethiopia Approves GM Potato Field Trials
- USDA APHIS: GE Corn and Potato Safe to Grow in the United States
- Research and Development of Biotech Crops
- Farmer from Antique Harvests Golden Rice for the First Time
- Philippines Approves Borer-Resistant Bt Eggplant for Commercial Cultivation
- 5th Asian Short Course on Agribiotech, Biosafety Regulation, and Communication (ASCA5)
- Pre-COPMOP 2022: Asian Regional Workshop on Current and Upcoming Items Under the CBD and its Protocols
- Field Visits to GM Trials Promote Positive Consumer Attitudes Towards GM Crops
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: