GRDC and Partners Target to Boost Wheat's Heat ToleranceNovember 16, 2022
Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) aims to enhance the heat tolerance of wheat varieties and maximize yield potential in a warmer climate.
Through a $4 million project in partnership with the University of Sydney, InterGrain, Agriculture Victoria, and the Western Australian Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, GRDC targets to deliver at least five adapted wheat pre-breeding lines with a minimum 10% higher yield than the current highest yielding cultivars under heat stress during grain filling by 2026.
“We've made it a priority to work on breeding better heat tolerance lines now, while we still have time to do it, because if we leave it too long, the industry will get stuck,” said University of Sydney Agricultural Scientist, Dr. Rebecca Thistlethwaite.
GRDC Genetic Technologies Officer Prameela Vanambathina said that GRDC prioritizes helping growers manage a changing climate and investing in research projects that help boost grain production on farms. “Increase in temperature is a significant constraint with predicted modeling, indicating an average of 14% of yield losses to Australian grain growers each year,” she added.
Read more from Grains Research and Development Corporation.
You might also like:
- Brazil Approves Drought Tolerant HB4® Wheat
- Pocket K No. 60: Rust-resistant Wheat
- GM Approval Database - HB4 Wheat
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Initiative to Uplift Agrifood Systems Launched in COP27
- Chemists Create Artificial Photosynthesis 10 Times More Efficient than Existing Systems
- SEAsian Representatives to COP15-MOP10 Briefed on CBD Updates and Negotiations
- GRDC and Partners Target to Boost Wheat's Heat Tolerance
- Forum on Philippine Biotech Regulations
- ASCA5 Highlights CBD Updates, Science Diplomacy in Preparation for COP15-MOP10
- EFSA Finds No New Hazards for GM Cotton 281-24-236 × 3006-210-23
- Genetically Modified Houseplant Pothos to Reduce Indoor Air Pollution
- Scientists Identify Wheat Genetically Resistant to Fungus Causing Snow Mold
- NTU Singapore Scientists Genetically Engineer Plants to Increase Oil Content
- Researchers Develop an Optimized CRISPR tool for Tobacco
- Restoring the Red Seed Coat in Rice through Genome Editing
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: