Workshop Tackles Policy Considerations for Gene Editing in Asia and AustraliaAugust 31, 2022
Feeding the world can be done through the existing scientific innovations including gene editing, but achieving it depends on regulations. This is one of the main messages of the gene editing experts to over 60 participants of the Workshop on Policy Considerations for Gene Editing: The Asian and Australian Perspective held on August 23-25, 2022 at Sunway Clio Hotel, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
The workshop, organized by ISAAA Inc., BioTrust Global, Malaysian Biotechnology Information Centre (MABIC), Murdoch University, and the National Seed Association Malaysia, aimed to raise awareness among stakeholders to enable science-based participation in the development of policy and regulatory frameworks for gene editing in Asian and Australasian countries.
International experts presented about the science and status of gene editing research and regulations worldwide. Representatives from Asian and Australasian countries were also invited to share their perspectives on the policies and regulations on gene editing in their respective countries. A special session on science diplomacy and harmonization was led by Dr. Muhammad Adeel and Prof. Mike Jones from Murdoch University, where international negotiations were simulated through an interactive engagement called Biotech Game.
The workshop concluded with the facilitation of working groups that laid out the opportunities, challenges, stakeholders' perspectives, and the way forward for policy consensus.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
You might also like:
- Genome Editing Resource
- STOA Report on Genome-edited Crops and 21st Century Food System Challenges
- India Eases Process for Release of Genome Edited Plants Without Foreign DNA
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Flavonoids from Sorghum Plants Kill Fall Armyworm on Corn
- Plants that Fix Nitrogen from Air Thrive in Arid Environments
- MSU to Send Amino Acid-Enriched Plant Seeds to Space
- Decoded Oyster DNA Opens Up New Breeding Opportunities
- Researchers Develop Mathematical Model that Predicts Plant Response to Climate Change
- Transgenic Common Bean Offers More Sustainable Strategy Against Whitefly
- Workshop Tackles Policy Considerations for Gene Editing in Asia and Australia
- Filipino Researchers Develop Improved Eggplant Varieties Using Innovative Technologies
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: